Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2019 11:00

Sound stopped working, Inspiron 7359

A few times since I bought it, the sound would stop working. Usually the solution, if I recall correctly, was updating the BIOS (why the sound would suddenly brick when a new BIOS came out, I do not know).

I hadn't used my computer for a couple weeks, so I did all the updates, still no sound.

I reinstalled windows, uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver (Conexant); and installed multiple times the latest audio driver 

I think the problem is the audio driver doesn't install.

The latest one from Conexant CX20722 Audio Driver is Version 8.65.135.91, A04, and my computer has 8.65.135.0. I don't see how to fix it. Also, my driver and the latest driver be the same, since the latest driver came out March 14 according to the dell website, and my driver was installed March 13. Version numbers suggest they're different but theyre so close in date...

Suffice to say I'm never going to buy a Dell again unless there's a 3+ year warranty with it. Ridiculous that basic functionality fails.

4 Posts

April 14th, 2019 17:00

FIXED.

It was pretty simple once I tried it - hit F2 while the computer is booting to enter the BIOS menu, and restore the defaults.

293 Posts

April 14th, 2019 12:00

This may help:  https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

If you can, back up and install the original BIOS that was installed on your mother board chip, if all was working just fine before ALL your "Recommended," updating.  Much success.  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Laptops cannot use drivers from anyone other than Dell. Dell customizes all the manufacturers' drivers for your exact model. Also you don't get updated drivers. You must keep the original drivers. Go to Dell Support and download and install the correct sound drivers. Open Device Manager to see what hardware you have now. You might see some problems (!) with the drivers you have now. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-13-7359-laptop/drivers Also check your sound settings to make sure they are correct. Right click on the Sound icon on the lower right.

4 Posts

I was not clear, those drivers are from the Dell website, for my laptop model.

4 Posts

April 14th, 2019 15:00

Wouldn't restoring the BIOS create other issues? There's been numerous BIOS updates classified as Urgent, and I don't want to screw anything up if new Windows versions only work with new BIOS.

No Events found!