Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2018 05:00

Startup slowdown after HDD install

I installed a 500 GB WD Black in my Inspiron 15 7567.

After that every time I start the PC after being shut down or hibernated it hangs in the Dell logo before loading Windows for like 20secs (the loading animation, ie dots going in circles, isn't there during that period).

This didn't happen before (and didn't happened when I tried uninstalling the drive). Also it doesn't happen if I restart the PC or wake it up from sleep.

At first I thought it had to do with the boot order, because it might be waiting for the HDD to start or something, but I couldn't change that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

1 Message

November 25th, 2018 02:00

Hey,

I had the exact same problem as you. Whenever I installed my HDD (Windows is on SSD) the dell logo would stay on for a long time (just like in your video). What I did to fix it is as follows:

SOLUTION:

1) Go into BIOS (Click F2 when dell logo shows up)

2) Click on system configuration and then click on "Drives"

3) Un-check the box beside the HDD (mine was SATA-1)

4) Click apply

5) Click exit

6) Now you computer should automatically turn off and then turn back on again. if it doesn't do that after like a        minute then hold the power button till it turns off then restart the computer.

7) Once the computer is restarted log into windows. The HDD should NOT be visible because we just disabled it.

8) Now shut down the computer

9) Turn it back on and enter the BIOS again

10) Go into system configuration and then under "Drives"

11) Then put a check beside the box that has the HDD (mine was SATA-1)

12) Click apply

13) Click exit

Now your computer should restart by itself and log back into windows. Your HDD should now be visible in file explorer. Just to make sure the fix worked, shut down your computer (do not click restart) then turn it back on again. The dell logo by itself (no circles rotating) should not stay on for more than 10 seconds and it should be fixed. Also check to see if the "BIOS time" is less than 10 seconds. You can do this by going under task manager and then under startup.

Hope this helped!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 07:00

If there's no error code: 

Please enter service tag number ( or use Detect PC) onto link below.

Support | Dell US

In your Dell Product Support page, manually install the latest Western hard drive driver or firmware onto system. If there are more then one listings, check the System Configurations in your Dell Product Support page, you should see it now. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 07:00

:BigSmile:

Please run a diagnostic on the hard drive by following steps below:

1. Power off system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in the top corner of screen.

2. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick tests finished, select Hard drive, and then click Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 08:00

By the way, the slow startup started before or after installing the western hard drive ? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Type Device Manager onto the search box, stroll down to Disk Drives and then expand it. Right click western hard drive driver and select Update.

There was no error. All tests passed

I bought the drive separately, so it isn't listed in the product drivers on the Dell support page.

I didn't find any firmware on WD support site.

After installing it.

When I noticed that I tested what happened if I uninstalled it. The result was that there was no delay, and that is why assumed it had to be the HDD.

Updating from the device manager told me I had the latest drivers.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 09:00

Please disable any unnecessary add-ons(Western hard drive) in your Startup. Typing Task Manager onto search box, and select Startup or you could download the free version of CCleaner which will show more programs and add-ons running in your startups.

Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!

In CCleaner, select Tools, and disable any hard drive add-ons and any other unnecessary programs in Startup and Browser Plugins.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

To get into the bios to check settings, tap F2 as soon as you reboot. I think that is the problem since you have a small ssd as a boot drive and the sata drive as a storage drive. Windows might be searching the whole sata drive every time you boot to look for boot files. Dell official instructions--

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln143038/access-uefi-bios-system-setup-from-windows-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

I have no add-ons. CCleaner had no effect. 

The lag I'm referring to happens before the OS boots, that's why I thought it had to do with the boot sequence (but I couldn't find a way of seeing or changing that)

March 29th, 2018 10:00

I did manage to get innto the UEFI, but I didn't know how to exclude (or move below the SSD) the HDD from the boot sequence

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 10:00

I'd suggest you reset BIOS to defaults by following steps in link below:

How to restore the BIOS (System Setup) defaults on a Dell ...

March 29th, 2018 12:00

Reseting the BIOS didn't impact the boot delay

I've uploaded a video to clarify what happens. As you can see, when it finally starts loading, it finished quickly, so it doesn't look like an OS issue.

https://youtu.be/Gs2Qq3eJaUs

November 25th, 2018 03:00

Indeed it worked! Thank you :)
No Events found!