AlexT321
1 Copper

Re: Still after 10 years not solved: Laptop does't always shut down when lid is

I have sent you the logs.

And, as you already know [...]“

from where should I know that from? 
I haven’t ‘t read the 200+ pages yet.
In fact, when I bought this computer, I wanted to focus on music production.
What should I have considered instead?
That the system can wake up to do an automatic windows update, without even me knowing, which can effect in a total loss of all my data, like it happened with the last update, which I authorized some days ago?
Is this how it all works?
So the main purpose of this laptop is to get to know, how it doesn't fail. Besides that, it may be suitable for other purposes, like browsing the web or music production. Well ....

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

Sometimes I envy those people, who do have a macbook and don‘t have to deal with those problems. Only I grew up with pcs, not with macs. My first pc was a dell. It was a good one. Then I got two dell laptops and its a shame. Some of my friends with macbooks would laugh at me, if I told them, what problems I have to deal with and how much time i spend on trying to solve them

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

Just consider the screen-pwm-dimming LED refresh rate issue.
Apple uses non decedtable pwm.
On my old dell laptop (latitude), when you dimmed your screen via Windows below 100% brightness, pwm flickering was the case. You could literally see that - I am very sensible to that and it is causing me eyestrain.
I ‚solved‘ the problem by downloading a third party app (dimscreen), with which I have to leave my brightness always at 100% and use a grey „layer“ on my windows-desktop, which on the one hand reduces the contrast but also can dim the screen without heaving to deal eith a 200 hz pwm frequency.

I bought the new laptop - still one thing hasn‘t changed after 10 years. I still have to use 100% brightness together with dim screen - even when I am on battery mode. Is this acceptable? There was a third party open source app, which I used ob my prior latitude, to set the pwm to 100.000 hz or something, but this is too experimental for me on a relatively new device. Why are there good screens nowadays, which take care of that problem, why is it already normal to have no pwm in e.g. apple devices, and with dell, I have to live with a 200 hz pwm frequency, when my brightness is below 100%, i don't get it

Company slogans may be a bit old-fashioned nowadays.
but it surly isn't „dell - we‘re aiming for the best“
Does it necessarily have to be „dell - go buy apple“?

0 Kudos

I have replied to you via private message.

Simran

Dell-SimranC
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click my name and send me a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Run the PC pre-Windows diagnostics
Out of Warranty Support

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

And I have answered an am still waiting for answers.

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

Concerning the Optane question (which is the question which is least interesting to me of all posted questions),
it didn't work out.
It says, optane is already deactivated.
Maybe this is the problem.
However - this issue isn't solved by trying to -redeactivate it.

Here are some screenshots

https://ibb.co/bP3gLmb
https://ibb.co/Y3BPnGs
https://ibb.co/2t5CY2P

optane2.pngoptane3png.pngoptane1.png

0 Kudos

Hi,
Thanks for writing in. I was unable to view the pictures which you'd shared. Could you send the pictures through email at sos@dell.com? Mention the reference number in the subject line: 1002504879.
Regards,
Mausam

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

Concerning the Auto-Wake-Up of my Laptop (which is not the issue I am addressing originally in this post - it is, why it, after heaving used multiple dell-laptop-generations in a time span over 10 years, is still not possible to expect the laptop to go into standby reproducibly when closing the lid):
It happened last night again, I tackled to solve it on my own, I have posted the results in the following thread, as there was, until now, more support from other users outside the dell forum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/computer/comments/dth36r/still_after_10_years_not_solved_laptop_doesnt/

I was right, it is an automatic update function, which I have never authorized and which can easily destroy my os - this already happened with a regularly authorized Windows update some weeks ago. 

So I am still waiting for solutions for my initial question, additionally, it would be great to hear something about 2) the optane issue and 3) the 200hz pwm issue I was addressing above, which still also persists through multiple dell laptop generations.

You said, you were unable to access the pictures I shared 1) by heaving them uploaded directly on your board via the picture upload function and 2) by heaving them additionally uploaded to a third party service called ibb.co  or somehing.

I am curios, what problem there is for a staff-member like you to access a simple picture.
Are you sure I am in the right place here?
Please elaborate, so that I can resend them, I didn't receive any answer concerning the other pictures emailed to you yet. I would appreciate to knowing the reason at least, before I will spend more time and send them - again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, 

Regardingt he intel optane issue, did you get an opportunity to try the steps in this link:https://dell.to/2Nyoe4i

and https://dell.to/2CrRp2V

Also, may be since the images were attached using a third party applicatio, i'm unable to view them. Will you be able to send the images to sos@dell.com with the subject line: 1002504879.

Regards, 

Prajesh

0 Kudos
AlexT321
1 Copper

As the Facebook-Login procedure doesn't seem to work, I logged in with my other account, which I forgot, that I had.

Forget about the optane thing.

I uninstalled the Optane software and I hope it will work.

I also didn't read your other advises concerning that issue, my time is valuable.

What about:

- the pwm issue?
- the issue, that although in technical terms (speaking of hardware), there already is a switch or sensor, that detects, if I close my laptop-lid, it doesn't work good enough, as mentioned several times before.
Where is the difficulty to implement a procedure, that, when the lid is closed, the thing will shut down after 60 second in 100 out of 100 times. Or should I keep doing that manually, as I am doing it now, by long-pressing the power-button?  If you buy a fridge, you also wouldn't say 'its the problem of the guy who was responsible for designing the IC of the light-switchnig-off-mechanism - it's not my problem that the light isn't switched of when you close the door as I only design the fridge'.

Buy it or leave it - bro.

Well, this seems illogical to me.
Won't there be any answers to my questions?

0 Kudos