LeSaCr
1 Copper

Stuck on auto repair and then blue screen

Hello, please help!
I have a 4 month old Inspiron 15 5000 series and yesterday it said I needed to install a windows 10 update. I left it to do its thing plugged in at the mains. When I came back it said there had been an error and needed to restart to repair. I didn’t note the code as I didn’t realise it was there unfortunately...
ever since it is stuck between auto repair and then blue screen. It will not run diagnostics via F12 as suggested elsewhere so I cannot get an error code and changing the bios settings doesn’t work either. I can’t even reset as I don’t have the option anywhere.

Please help, I really need this for my studies ASAP Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Stuck on auto repair and then blue screen

You will need to start the repair by booting from a flash drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Create+a+USB+boot+drive+for+Windows+10/89181

0 Kudos
LeSaCr
1 Copper

I don’t have another pc to create one from so how am I supposed to do this?
0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

You'll need to find access to another system somewhere - there's no way you'll get the system repaired without the boot media.

It's also possible that if you cannot get to the diagnostics (F12 before Windows begins loading) that you have a hardware fault - so you may want to call Dell about that possibility in the meantime.

0 Kudos
LeSaCr
1 Copper

I can’t access another system and it’s not reasonable to expect me to do so on a less than 4 month old laptop, lay people cannot be expected to do this.

I already said I cannot access the diagnostic screen in my first post, hence why I’m on here asking dell for help
0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Call Dell and walk through the troubleshooting they request.  You are indeed expected to do that (read your terms of sale -- it's a requirement before service is dispatched).

If you cannot get to the diagnostics, you most likely have a hardware fault - the warranty will cover it, but it all starts with calling Dell support and walking through basic troubleshooting with the technician.

If you don't want to do that, it's your option - you can take the system to your school's IT staff for troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
LeSaCr
1 Copper

I have read my terms of sale, it’s says reasonable steps. Having access to several pcs, usbs and the know how to do a system repair isn’t reasonable for most people unfortunately, it may be for you but it’s unfair to assume everyone has the same level of knowledge.

I will call Dell, but as they are not currently open that’s kind of impossible right now - hence reaching out to the forum. Don’t really appreciate the attitude when I’m already stressed out about this.
And as it happens, I don’t have a school - I’m a distance learner, hence being extremely annoyed about an issue when I am dependent on my laptop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

The problem isn't attitude - you just can't solve problems with a magic wand.  At a minimum, you're going to need an OS reinstall - and to do that you'll need the recovery media, which you'll need to make, one way or another.  There is no magic way to solve the problem - and since the hardware is very much suspect at this point, you'll need to start by contacting Dell support to open a technical support incident.