Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2020 12:00

SupportAssist OS Recovery - RESET fails at 1 - 3%

Hard drive failure after an update so we obtained a new hard drive. Downloaded the SupportAssist and the Scan Hardware runs, Repair Software runs and both finds nothing.
Backed up files, new hard drive I don't know what files they found.

I have tried "Reset" Numerous times and it fails at either 1%, 2% or 3% but NEVER goes any further. Has good network connection but sill continues to fail.

Tried original HD and computer doesn't even see it.

I have repeated all other test and they continue to pass but RESET doesn't seem to function for some reason.

Our service tag was recognized after we downloaded the software for SupportAssist.

What else can we do?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 16th, 2020 12:00

Have you installed Windows on the new drive? Use the Create Media Tool to download the file burn it to a bootable thumb drive or disk -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make sure to select the exact same windows version you have now and follow the directions.

Support assist cannot install windows. 

5 Posts

February 16th, 2020 14:00

Thanks,

No I have not installed Windows as I was trying through Dell's site since there were no disks when we got this laptop. The OS Recovery Reset Claims "Download and install the most recent OS" so that's what we were try.

I'll check out your link, Thanks again

5 Posts

February 17th, 2020 13:00

Thanks Mary,

Your help was right on the money. Support Assist should point that out. By the description you would believe that you are getting an image of what was installed at the factory.

Would be nice if they still gave the software that was purchased with the computer...but no let's save money by not giving disc's.

Laptop running now. Thanks again Mary!

Tim

7 Posts

March 11th, 2020 17:00

RT!

This worked for me. Was stuck without any other option after trying to reset from recovery partition and dell usb fail thing (failed at 6% everytime).

Do it the right way.  

4 Posts

February 17th, 2021 11:00

Hey folks,

when I bought my Aurora, I purchased that USB stick with Windows installation on it. 

So after a problem on my computer, I reinstalled it from there and no Alienware driver/software was installed, so I tried the SupportAssist OS Recovery, which seems to be the correct method from the discussion here.

Now I have a fresh Windows 10 installed but even with that, the reset is failing on the same step, while in `Reset and update in progress` is gives me a `Reset failed` while still in `Operating System Recovery` step, but no detail is given here  

Do you folks know of anything else that I should do for the Windows installation to be recognized by the recovery?

1 Message

June 16th, 2021 13:00

I got the same problem: replaced a dead SSD and tried to use SupportAssist to reinstall factory OEM image. It stucks at 1,43-1,47% and then says the process has failed.

That's quite strange to read that SupportAssist can't install Windows. In its interface, description of "Reset" action says "Download and install the factory operating system or upgrade to the latest operating system available". I think that's natural to expect that this action will download and install Windows, no?

Nevertheless, I've downloaded and installed Windows 10 image using MS download tool, and then tried "Reset" in SupportAssist again, hoping that at least it may be able to install all the necessary drivers in one step. It has stuck again at the same point. So how "Reset" action can be used at all???

No Events found!