Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

April 29th, 2018 16:00

Suspend-resume problems on Ubuntu 18.04

Hello everyone, I am using an Inspiron 15 7567, I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it, But I had restart/suspend/resume problems with it, So i followed This guide and got restart and other issues fixed but I still cannot resume from suspend, the laptop just hangs, Can anyone tell me what the problem is ? or perhaps give me a direction ? I tried multiple distros and desktop environments but still no luck....

May 1st, 2018 05:00

I have an XPS 15 9560, something that has worked for me is the kernel parameters acpi_osi=! with acpi_osi='Windows 2009' then make the brightness control acpi_backlight=vendor

Good Luck!

** PS : You might have more chance on AskUbuntu or Reddit for an answer!

1 Message

May 3rd, 2018 13:00

HI!

I have the same laptop and after having replaced windows 10 by ubuntu 18.04 lts I am facing the same problem with the suspend-resume.

Did you add those options to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX or to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help :)

Best regards,

AdT

1 Message

May 5th, 2018 20:00

I stumbled across this thread yesterday, as I too was plagued over this issue, This struck me when I was collecting dmesg messages from different OSs while trying to report a bug on Fedora Bugzilla. (I'm a dev there). This also works on Fedora, replace your commands accordingly.

Blacklist nouveau

As usual, it's the stupid and buggy "nouveau" driver. 18.04 is moving away from the old OST module "bbswitch". So, the kernel loads "nouveau" driver, in order to use Optimus power saving.

Fixing this:

1. First, install NVIDIA drivers. `ubuntu-drivers autoinstall` will install nvidia-390. It's substantially altered from the earlier packages.
  2. Disable nvidia-fallback.service which always loads nouveau: `systemctl disable nvidia-fallback.service`
  3. Add `nouveau.blacklist=1` to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
  4. Use bbswitch for power saving

2 Posts

May 7th, 2018 12:00

I'm using 18.04 also without any suspend issues, but my laptop has AMD processors if that matters.

May 9th, 2018 14:00

I am experencing a similar problem on the Inspiron 14 7276 after installing Ubuntu 18.04 and switching from the noveau driver to the proprietary nvidivia Xorg driver.

When enabling the NVidia mx150 driver (tested with nvidia-driver-390 as well as ver. 396) the computer works normally and the card is recognized but when closing and reopening the lid, the laptop cannot resume from suspension.

A green screen is shown with icons of my desktop all confused on the background, the mouse pointer is still there and moves but no input either from the mouse or keyboard is accepted and the only way to regain control of the computer is forced rebooting.

I tried all the above suggestions in this thread but none of them fixed the problem, is there perhaps something else I should try to solve this suspend/resume problem?

Thank you. Luca

1 Message

May 28th, 2018 19:00

It is the buggy nouveau driver again. That's what solved the issue for me.
Edit the file /etc/default/grub.

$ sudoedit /etc/default/grub.

Add "nouveau.modeset=0" to the line that says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX then press ^O to save the file and ^X to live then run.

$ sudo update-grub.

Reboot.

May 28th, 2018 19:00

I followed this Video " 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGbWE-pvIE&t=433s

and it solved the problem for me...Problem is Nvidia's drivers do not support Optimus on Linux so you have to install bumblebee to fix the problem...

1 Message

August 9th, 2018 13:00

I experienced this problem with my New XPS 15 9570 running Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS. I'd suspend and the laptop would go to sleep. When I went to resume the laptop, I'd get a black screen with the cursor in the upper left, the fans would all go to full speed and the laptop would just sit there.

I followed the steps agathver laid out above and it fixed my problem

1. I already had the Nvidia drivers installed and was already using them
2. sudo systemctl disable nvidia-fallback.service
3. Edited /etc/default/grub and added the line :
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.blacklist=1"
4. sudo update-grub
5. Restarted the laptop

Suspend and resume now work

August 14th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15 9570 with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, first I tried the Gene Wood procedure (nouveau.blacklist=1) and the suspension-resume worked only once, then I tried the Casc4 procedure (nouveau.blacklist=0) and again it worked for only once, it makes no sense! someone give me explanations?

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 05:00

This method worked for me. But my dmesg still showing errors.

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.

However, I was thinking, Dell sells this laptop with Ubuntu, so they should have a better support for this OS... Am I wrong?

August 23rd, 2018 01:00

I solved this issue by using v4.18 kernels. Lower versions might work as well, but with branch v4.15 I was out of luck.

August 23rd, 2018 15:00

This may sound a little crazy, but on my Dell Latitude E5470, if I change the desktop background pic from the Beaver, it will not come out of suspend.

August 25th, 2018 04:00

I also noticed that the Insync program for syncing Google Drive will keep it in suspend if left running.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2018 14:00

Update to kernel 4.18 helped. If you don't want to install the kernel manually you can use ukuu:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu

Then run it and install the latest.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2018 12:00

This worked for me - thank you very much for sharing!
No Events found!