josan420
1 Nickel

Temperature of over 90C while playing games

I have purchased a new Dell G5 15 5587 about 2 months ago. Everytime I start to play Far Cry 5 temperature rise from 45° C to 90° C after just 5 min of gaming. At first I was playing the game on High Setting but later I changed it to Normal but still temperature remain aroung 90°C and sometimes even 95°C.

I am worried as its Gaming Laptop and after just 5 min of gaming it become so hot that you can't even keep your finger more than 5 sec on some of parts of laptop.

Is it normal? Please Help.

My laptop has

• i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

• 8GB ram

• NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Tags (2)
39 Replies
nicbst
1 Copper

Re: Temperature of over 90C while playing games

Same issue here. If I disable turbo, it is better temperature wise, but still locks up after a few minutes of gaming.

0 Kudos
josan420
1 Nickel

How can i Disble Turbo?

I can see how much Dell care about this issue. Not even a single reply from Dell. I will start leaving Negative review of DEll G5 series everywhere on the internet. They call it gaming Laptop but they <Profanity removed> after 5 min of gaming with temperature reaching over 95 C

ejn63
5 Rhenium

Dial back the video settings - Far Cry 5 has some stiff hardware recommendations, and your system is decidedly at the very low end for gaming.

0 Kudos
josan420
1 Nickel

• i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

• 8GB ram

• NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Are you sure its low End for PC games? Its Dell's Gamin Laptop G5 series. I don't any other Gaming laptop on dell's Site thats better than this one in Terms of hardware specification except one with 16GB RAM.

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

This is still and entry-level gaming system - Far Cry 5 recommendations are more in line with the Alienware 17 system, which is an upper-end gaming machine better suited to Far Cry.

Recommended:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz | AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz or equivalent.
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)

This would be a match for the requirements 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G7DS5016&cm_re=alienware_1070-_-9SIA24G7DS501...

0 Kudos
josan420
1 Nickel

Sorry but I just Played Battlefield 4 and temprature soar to 90C in just 2 min. and 85C to Civilization IV. 

I don't think its normal...

GoJo23
1 Copper

Does lowering the screen brightness help minimize the heat in that middle spot near the screen and above the fn keys? 

Also check out this link: https://youtu.be/yNt9L3BWOFo

Tags (2)
Every single chassis will have different results. This is a hard CPU to keep in the "sweet spot". But I love it! What's that Overlay you keep asking? Click this link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xABgzp_1w&t=15s
David_5
1 Copper

Hi,

I also have this laptop (i7 8750h, 1060 6gb) and I have the same problem, I tried undervolting but in games like Watch Dogs 2 and PUBG it does not help, I still have throttling. The CPU reaches 100 degrees and is constantly 90+. With turbo boost it does not go over 70, but this comes at a big performance cost, if I limit it to 3.0 Ghz it stays cool at 70, but performance is still affected, I was thinking about bringing it in service, but I am not sure if this would help. I called the customer support and they said to bring it in service, but after reading forums, I realized that many laptops with this CPU, including ones from other manufacturers have this issue, has anyone managed to fix it?

Hey,

My 1 month old G5 (i7 8750h, 1060 6gb) has the same problems with overheating of CPU during games. The temperature goes to 90-99 degrees and then temperature throttling kicks in but it obviously does not help enough so after a while power throttling turns on a which results in massive FPS drop (clock drops from 3,90 to 0,80).

I alleviated this by undervolting my CPU by -0,150 V and it reduced temp. by 15-20 degrees so now while gaming temps are around 75-85 degrees C. There is no temperature throttling nor power throttling so this is an improvement.

I need to point out that XTU kinda **bleep** and undervolting does not stick after a restart (after sleep its still on) even though if you open it up after restart it still shows -0,150V. If you look at the the voltage value on the left of the graph and you see it is around 1,300 V then its not undervolted. Set it to 0 and apply, and then back to your undervolt value (-0,150 V) and apply and it should fix it.

On attached snip I marked when I undervolted with an arrow, a little before that is gaming without undervolt and a liitle after is gaming with undervolt. The game is Fallout 4, but similar situation is with other games too (Battlefield 1, Arma 3, ...)

CPU gaming undervolt.PNG

I also think it might be a CPU issue because of laptops from other developers who suffer from similar issues, so I am waiting for a software fix from Intel or Dell, if this is not the case then only thing that would help would be a repaste of CPU...