KarthickSriram
1 Copper

Touchpad gestures not working Code 10 error: I2C HID Device

I own a dell G7-7588 laptop and recently my touchpad gestures have failed to work. When I open the device manager, I get an exclamation mark next to the I2C HID Device. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the lapop. The computer searches itself the drivers and installs. The multitouch gestures works fine for a while after which it fails again. If I go back to the device manager, I get to see the exclamation mark present next to I2C HID device. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel IO serial drivers as they are the drivers containing the touchpad. The method works for once and when I restart the computer, the touchpad gestures do not work. I tried checking for updates and nothing were available. I tried checking using the dell update as well. The error in device manager is: This device cannot start. (Code 10). A request for the HID descriptor failed.

I tried reinstalling the device drivers and it does not install giving an error that the device failed to start. But the touchpad is working fine and there is no failure.

It does not seem to be like a hardware issue as the touchpad works perfectly and its just the gestures. There are no separate touchpad drivers for Dell G7 and the touchpad menu is not available in additional mouse settings.

There is not any extra option available in the touchpad menu of the windows settings as well. I do not think it is possible to uninstall and reinstall the drivers everytime I reboot the computer. There are no touchpad options in the bios settings as well. I have tried the registry edit option of changing upperfilter registry. There is no luck with that as well. If there are any suggestions to make it work, then it would be useful.

asdasdasdad.PNGScreenshot (6).pngScreenshot (7).pngasdasdad.PNG

8 Replies
koradris
1 Copper

Re: Touchpad gestures not working Code 10 error: I2C HID Dev

i have the same problem with g5 .

up!

0 Kudos

Thank you for your message. This system has a precision touchpad& as you called out does not have specific drivers.

Please open device manager – right click on the I2C HID device & click on uninstall (check the box that says delete the driver. Restart the computer & complete all Windows updates & restart the computer.

Open Dell Support Assist – Click on troubleshooting – test a specific piece of hardware – click on the 2nd option that says mouse & run test & check if the device responds.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

0 Kudos
FuzzyNegguts
1 Copper

Same issue with my 7573. Been off and on for many months. I thought the Dell update addressed it, but turns out it didn't! So incredibly frustrating.
0 Kudos
bane8888
1 Copper

Any available fix for this issue?
0 Kudos
Putu Prema
1 Copper

Hi!

Yesterday I also had this problem. Touchpad gestures not working and yellow exclamation point on I2C HID Device. If you still have this issue, try to unplug the touchpad cable on the back of the laptop, clean the contacts using cloth or something, and then plug the cable back in. It solved the issue for me.

Hope this helps!

InkedIMG_20190324_192637_LI-min.jpg

0 Kudos
1Pete
1 Copper

Re: Touchpad gestures not working Code 10 error: I2C HID Device

same issue on a inspiron 7373.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DonnaFr53
1 Copper

I am having a similar issue on a Dell XPS 13 9350. I tried to follow your instructions, but the 12C HID file just reappears when I restart and still has a yellow warning flag on it. So I started Dell Support Assist and followed your instructions but it only tested my mouse and my mouse passed. It did not check my touchpad as far as I could see and the 12C HID file still has a yellow warning flag on it. I uninstalled again and restarted for good measure, but no change. I am running out of ideas about how to solve this. Can you help?

Lepri
1 Copper

There's so many complaints about this issue and yet not fix. I have a g5 with a useless trackpad and after contacting support the answer I received is that they don't know if the model supports multi touch or not. Really? You end up spending so much money on a laptop and that's the best answer you get from Dell.

0 Kudos