2 Bronze

Troubleshoot after installing updates Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series

Hi! I bought this laptop in summer 2017 and didn't really need to use it much until now. It was working fine for the past few days. Then it wanted to do some updates. It took forever for the updates and afterwards wouldn't turn on AT ALL. Blank screen and charging light blinking white and yellow. When it did turn on one time, it said, "Restoring your previous version of windows" and then "scanning and repairing drive...100% complete". Not sure what's with this laptop... I am pretty sure I got a faulty piece. Also, two black spots appeared on the screen during the update and wouldn't go away.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
5 Iridium

Re: Troubleshoot after installing updates Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 5558(5000series) windows 10

In the meantime, I would suggest removing the battery by following the steps below:

emoticon.BigSmile.title

1. Press "Power On" button for 5 seconds.

2. Remove all peripherals, AC adapter, battery and then press " Power On" button for 15 seconds to release Static Flea Power. Replace battery, AC adapter. and power on system. Hopefully computer starts normally....

You'll be able to get the instructions to remove battery by entering the service tag number onto link below.After, select Manuals &Documents 

Support | Dell US

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Sorry it is inspiron 15 5567 (5000 series). Windows 10. I am not a fan of Windows 10.
0 Kudos
5 Iridium

Please select Inspiron 15 5000 Service Manual in the link below. I suggest reading service manual thoroughly before attempting to remove the base cover and battery.

Removing battery, pages 48 - 50: 

Support for Inspiron 15 5567 | Manuals & documents | Dell US

If removing the battery doesn't work, reseat memory module from the memory-module slot - pages 24 and 25) to see if that will make any difference.

If you aren't comfortable opening the computer, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below:

Contact Information | Dell US

Or.....

How to Create a Support Request Online? | Dell US

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I can follow the instructions and remove the battery, but I would like to know if that somehow voids the warranty?
Also, I believe there is a hardware issue with the laptop because there are two black spots on the screen plus the color on the screen seems to have split in half. All of this happened when it was updating and I put it on charge.
0 Kudos
5 Iridium

Removing the battery won't voids the warranty unless you break anything inside the computer such as a screw.

Since you have warranty, I strongly suggest contacting Dell Technical Support or create a support request online before opening the computer base cover and battery. Please check your warranty status in link below:

Warranty Status | Dell US

I also like to suggest you follow the steps in link below to run the LCD built-in self test (BIST) tool on the system. The Dell utility should help determine if the screen abnormality you are experiencing is an inherent problem with the LCD (screen) of the computer or with the video card (GPU) and PC settings.

How do I Run Diagnostics on a Dell Laptop LCD? | Dell US

Note: If you do not detect any screen abnormalities in the built-in self test mode, the laptop LCD is functioning properly. Check the video card (GPU) and PC settings.
If you do notice any abnormalities in the built-in self test mode, you may get the laptop LCD repaired/replaced if it is under warranty by contacting Technical Support

0 Kudos