Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:29

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2018 11:00

I have both Kingston Data Travelers 8 GB and higher capacities and they work fine... as do Sandisk drives...

Possible one specific model or size is giving you problems or something already on the drive is causing the problem.

Info on partitioning and drive size, along with how you created the drive might be useful for someone to notice a problem...

3 Posts

February 24th, 2018 11:00

The Kingston Data Traveler is the 16GB 100 Generation 3 that I got from Amazon this month. They were reduced from £18.29 to £4.97 each so perhaps someone knew something was wrong with them? In fact all the different capacities of this thumb drive are still reduced on Amazon UK. I left a review stating that they were no good to use as a bootable drive.

I forgot to mention that both the above mention sticks also did not work in my HP Elitebook 820 G2.

The Sandisk that does work in all three of my laptops and boots up is the very small Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB3. It is tiny, only about ¾ inch.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2018 13:00

OK, I see the Black one on the US Amazon site.  I do not see a model number but it does say 100 G3.

I will order some to test but until I get them would you do me a favor?  I don't know how you made the drive but could you try cleaning the drive with Diskpart and then follow the procedure below to make it bootable.  Then just mount and copy over the Win 10 Install files.  Make very sure you are working on your USB drive.......!

DISKPART> lis dis

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          476 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 1    Online           28 GB  2048 KB

DISKPART> sel dis 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> cre par pri

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format quick fs=fat32

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> assign

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART> active

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2018 15:00

The link to the Kingston USB drives on Amazon UK is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C5K8D5W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure what you are asking me to do, or indeed, if I am capable of doing it. I don't know of Diskpart or what mount means other than it is used in Linux to mount a drive.

Are you a Linux user?

I found out that this USB drive did not work when I installed Macrium Reflect in order to take an image of the Windows 10 drive on my HP Elitebook for backup recovery purposes. I have used Macrium for many years on my Windows workstations and always find it reliable. At the end of the Macrium installation, it always suggests you make a bootable CD/DVD or USB drive and to check that the bootable drive actually works. This was when I discovered that it did not work. I had purchased two of these Kingston drives so I used Macrium to make another bootable USB using the second one. This did not work either.

The Sandisk Ultra fit USB was also made bootable in the same way using Macrium Reflect and it works on the three laptops I tested it on: Dell Inspiron 17r (N7010), Dell Inspiron 15r (N5010) and HP Elitebook 820 G2.

I specifically purchased the HP Elitebook (refurbished) because I had learned that they are compatible with Linux. I want to try Linux Mint because I heard that it is the easiest distro for beginners and I am definitely a newbie in the Linux department. I am a retired IT person so I am very conversant with Windows but sadly lacking in the Linux world.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2018 16:00

OK, I will check the drive when it comes in.

I do not use Macrium Reflect but of course, that was not part of your original post.

The drive is inexpensive so it is not very fast...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 26th, 2018 19:00

I got the Kingston drive (Datatraveler 100 G3) today to check your claim.  It came formatted as FAT32 so I made that partition active and then mounted the Win 10 install media .iso and copied over the install files.  I booted my system using the Kingston drive and it booted fine.

Hopefully, you will revise your original claim and include a revision referencing the Macrium Reflect situation being the cause of the problem.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2018 03:00

I cannot put the blame on Macrium because I used the same procedure on my Sandisk Ultra Fit USB which was successful.

Macrium will make you a Windows PE bootable drive which can be used to boot up when you want to recover a Windows installation drive and restore it to a previous condition. It is also used for disk cloning. I believe Microsoft still uses it and offers it for download but I prefer the Macrium GUI DOS interface finding it easier.

I have modified my original post because I now think I may have got faulty Kingston drives. It beggars belief that I got two bad ones though. These two Kingston drives can be used for storing files in the usual way but cannot be made bootable. I have put them aside marked dubious and will not use them except in an emergency.

By the way, I have a Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate (all metal casing) and that is very good.

February 15th, 2019 07:00

I have a 100 G3 and I cannot get it to boot in either of my machines no matter what I do.

I have many other makes of stick that work fine.

There was also a "strange" amount of unallocated space at the start of the stick which Kingston said was not their doing and to repartition and reformat as either Fat32 or NTFS for use in most OS's.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 15th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your message. Did you create a recovery disc through the system image?

Have you tried creating a OS recovery driver using the Dell or Microsoft link

Is the drive detected when you try to boot?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with any one of the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

1.5K Posts

February 15th, 2019 08:00

Yes since the beginning of USB Sandisk have just worked, especially since USB 3.0 and Beyond Sandisk have just kept on working.I have several USB Thumb Drive 32GB and Above from different manufacturers that work somewhat but as soon as you try to boot them or transfer large files they fail.

Personally, i use Macruium Reflect its an Imaging program that since I have switched, to back in 2012 has never once failed me.

No Events found!