Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2018 06:00

USB C male to USB C Female 90 degree adapter/ Adapter Cable

Hey all, I'm just starting to look for a 90 Degree adapter or adapter cable that support fulling USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt III. Seems like it should be a simple thing to find. However, I'm not really having any luck finding one. Seem most will support Charging and USB 3.0 and LAN, but they all state don't try to use Ext Hard drives or Docking stations. So how much sense does this make? I've just purchased a Dell Inspiration 13 7386 it has a USB C connection on each side. When I look at the cable to my Docking station, I'm thinking this connection is going to last a few months at best with that stiff cable sticking straight out either side of my new notebook. Much better it makes a 90 and goes straight out the back of this notebook. I did see one on Amazon that said it supported Thunderbolt III all Video resolutions USB 3.1 gen 1 and 2, it even was showing 5 stars, however, sold out and not sure these will ever return??? Anyone out there with real-time experience on this issue I really only need to run 4 full power USB 3.0 Ports with one, well with this little notebook I'll need to run two external USB 3.0 WD Passport, in the 2tb to 4 TB version. and have a LAN connection. that is what I need, however, I have spent a $200+ on a Dell Docking station"  Kit-Dell Dock WD15,US,130W,1.1C,MDP", I would like to use as this would also get me away from the straight out the right side of the notebook charging cable.

I don't know People am I asking for too much to want to get these stiff cables going straight to the rear of my 2-1 notebook rather than straight out the sides where they are going to get bumped into and pushed around which we all know is going to damage the USB C ports on my notebook Any suggestions would be welcome especially from anyone that is actually having success using a 90 Degree adapter with this  docking station?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 8th, 2018 09:00

I think it may be a while before you see an adapter like that, for a few reasons.  First, USB-C cables that want to support USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) and/or up to 100W of power need to have E-marker chips embedded into the cable to advertise those capabilities to the system, which might make the cost of a 90-degree adapter prohibitive.  Second, in the case of Thunderbolt 3, a dongle might compromise functionality.  With current passive cable technology, the maximum length over which 40Gbps can be achieved is 18 inches, which is why the Dell TB16 dock's cable is so short.  Active cables can go longer, but they're still very expensive.  And with either cable type, adding a dongle onto the end of it could break performance.  It's not just the additional length, but the fact that there's actually quite a bit of signal loss introduced when crossing over the connectors of a cable, and even a very short cable adds two more occasions of connector crossing to the signal path.  Thunderbolt 3 already appears to be pushing the limit by needing such a short cable, so it may not be able to tolerate the additional signal loss of such an adapter.

I think that at least until cable technology improves, your only real chance here would be finding a USB-C cable that had a right-angle connector on at least one end as part of its design and using that instead, or a dock whose permanently attached USB-C cable was built that way if the dock you want to use doesn't allow swapping the cable.  The sort of good news there is that USB-C and TB3 are industry standards, so if you don't like Dell's dock offerings, there are a variety of others out there from vendors like Plugable, Belkin, StarTech, to name a few.

1.5K Posts

December 9th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for the reply, not really sure I thought when I bought this it would have TB and USB C gen 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 But apparently not so I think I can get LAN and USB 3.0 and That is all  I really need.. Probably wasted my money on the docking station.

1.5K Posts

January 1st, 2019 09:00

So it turns out that this 2-1 only supports USB C 3.1 with Display port. So I did try a 90-degree adapter and it did work of a few days then I found that my NIC was running at 100mbs not the original 1 GB removing the adapter solved the issue. So as you mention we are at the mercy of the aftermarket manufactures to come up with an Active 90-degree adapter. I'm thinking this would be like the old PS2 to USB adapter you needed an active one to get much use out of the adapter.

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2020 09:00

Actually they have them on Amazon, let me link you to the ones I am using. These support USB 3.1 Gen 1 5 Gbs and will transfer data as fast as any hard drive is capable of going as well as I have used these on External m.2 nvme SSD they run at full speed without any drop-offs or lockups. I use one on my Inspiron 13 7386. I use this one with my WD 15 Dock moves that stiff cable to the back of my notebook and takes the strain off my USB 3.1 Gen 1 PD port.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XBDKBH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure why this thread came up on my feed again. Never the less I did come up with capable hard 90-degree adapter and there are also 90-degree adapter cables I use the hard one so that my other ports are still available.  Like when I'm using my Atolla 7 port USB 3.1 hub my power port is still usable.

When you looking look for 3.1 Gen 1 5 Gbs or Gen 2 10 Gbs if they don't advertise this you can be assured they are original USB 3.0 and just low bandwidth charging cables. Read the Reviews usually if I have tried them I left a review or someone else has. As always these devices are not all created equal so pay attention and buy from someone you can send back if not as advertized 

No Events found!