Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

December 20th, 2019 04:00

Ubuntu Installer doesn't show installation type on Dell inspiron 5000

Ok so I am trying to install Budgie 18.04.3 64bit on a new Dell inspiron 5000. My laptop currently only has one C drive and windows 10 installed on it.

I created a bootable usb drive using rufus (FAT32 and also tried with NTFS option) and tried to install it. Before launching the installer it gave me the ACPI error which I have mentioned in this post

So I ignored the error and continue with the installation. Got all the usual steps in the install wizard like set the language, keyboard etc. After selecting the Normal Install option the installer goes directly to this step skipping the one where you select “Alongside another OS” or “Erase and install Ubuntu”

https://i.stack.imgur.com/vDYar.jpg

If I click install now it gives me “no root file system defined” error

If I click on the “Change” or “+” buttons then the installer hangs and freezes

How do I fix this? A friend of mine has also installed Budgie on their Dell laptop but they never encountered this problem.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/47CGu.jpg

Some BIOS config

my fast boot mode is thorough boot mode is UEFI only with secure boot enabled in deployed mode.

my boot sequence is

- Windows Boot Manager
- UEFI Hard Drive

Should I turn off secure boot? A friend suggested that but I would like to know why should I do it?

Should I turn the SATA operation to AHCI from RAID?

UPDATE: I turned off secure boot and tried to install again again. I clicked on the change option on the installation type screen but the installer vanished.

THe same thing happened when clicked on "+" option.

Update2:

I tried the same bootable usb on an old lenovo laptop and I saw the "erase and install" and "alongside" options.

why am I not seeing this on the dell laptop?

2 Posts

January 8th, 2020 18:00

The same exact thing is happening on my Dell XPS 15 laptop. I get to the installation type screen and it's a blank box, and if I click on either the +/- signs or the change button the installation freezes and gives this error message

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSvtA9tg-YKaXNDSo6Lr1ULOkZ_MnN12/view?usp=sharing

January 18th, 2020 19:00

Same problem here. I was hoping to dual boot, not sure if I just need to remove Windows completely.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 18th, 2020 20:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @bipedalprog  @palash25  @sharkymae 

Do any of you know what the exact model number of your laptop is???

It just may help us resolve this problem if we knew???

Best regards,

U2

NOTE:

Yes you will need to Disable "Secure Boot" and Enable "AHCI" in the BIOS.

The problem is that there are "Models" that do not have the "AHCI" option in the BIOS!!!

That's why knowing the exact model is important!!!

January 19th, 2020 16:00

Thank you. Turning off secure boot allows me to see the available drives and install Ubuntu. I still need to work out booting to Windows too, I get a screen that that says it cannot boot. I seem to remember seeing something on this while researching the other issue.

Inspiron 15 5593

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 20th, 2020 05:00

Your very welcome @bipedalprog 

I do not have that much knowledge on "Dual Booting" so I won't be much help there.

Maybe someone else can reply with some guidance???

But it does sound like your on the right path.

Regards,

U2 

NOTE: 

Your Driver Support page shows Ubuntu drivers:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/drivers

That is a quick way to determine if your laptop supports Ubuntu!!!!!

2 Posts

January 21st, 2020 20:00

Thanks for the info @U2CAMEB4ME I have a Dell XPS 15 9570

Changing the SATA Operation to AHCI does work and allows me to install and boot Ubuntu, but if I want to switch back to windows I have to go back into BIOS and change that setting back to RAID On, which isn't ideal.

Do you know why that might be the case?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 01:00

@sharkymae 

You would need to install W10 with the BIOS set to AHCI.

Then install Ubuntu after that.

Regards,

U2

1 Message

July 1st, 2020 06:00

Hey, i have the same laptop model and im experiencing the same exact problem.

How did you solve it?

Thanks

No Events found!