GameChanger97
1 Copper

Unable to acces windows automatic repair screen

Hi guys,
I'm having troubles entering automatic repair screen, i have problem with startup so only way to enter in repair screen is via hard resets/shutdowns but when I do that, dell support assistance is poping up after 2 resets and when i disable it nothing shows after 7-8 resets.. is there a way to access windows repair screen with hard resets or dell support assistance is only thing that i can enter with resets?

I tried entering in safe mode with f8, shift + f8 and ctrl + f8 but nothing seems to be working so hard resets are my only option..

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Unable to acces windows automatic repair screen

Click Start, then the power icon, then hold Shift while clicking Restart.  You'll find options for various custom boot options and troubleshooting environments there.  The F8 mechanism was removed from Windows 8 onward because systems had gotten so fast at booting that users would have either needed to hit F8 within a window of only 150 msec, which they wouldn't be able to do reliably, or Microsoft would have had to artificially lengthen EVERY boot just for the few times a user wanted to press F8.  Neither was ideal, so they switched to the design of allowing users to specify a custom boot process for the NEXT boot as part of the restart process.  And then just in case the OS isn't bootable in the first place, Automatic System Restore gets triggered automatically if the OS fails to load twice in a row.

0 Kudos
GameChanger97
1 Copper

@jphughan

Thank you very much for your response but that doesnt help me because I cant enter in windows.. im stuck at startup screen and i cant get past "restoring previous version screen" after the latest update so only thing that i can do is acces automatic repair during the startup
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Ok, if you can get to another Windows 10 PC, you can create a flash drive by going to Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive and unchecking the "Back up system files" option.  Then you can boot your system from that to get access to troubleshooting tools.  But what is this "Restoring previous version" screen?  Did you just start an upgrade to a new release of Windows 10 and the installer is now trying to roll it back?  If you're stuck in a situation where the installer can't move you to the new version and can't roll back either, then I'm not even sure what you can do even if you build that recovery drive.  In that situation, your best option might be to just find a bootable environment that will allow you to copy files from your hard drive onto something else and then wipe your main drive and perform a clean install.

Lastly, I know this doesn't help you right now, but going forward you may want to consider performing regular image backups of your system so that if you end up in a situation like this, you can just restore your entire system from a recent image backup. Macrium Reflect is a popular tool for this purpose, and it has a free version that offers the core functionality you'll need, as well as a paid version that includes some additional features you may want, and the paid version isn't very expensive especially when you consider the time it can save you in situations like this.

Saltgrass
4 Germanium

You might check the Bios settings.  On one system I have there are options for the Dell utility and possibly to wait for the 3rd or 4th reboot or turned off completely.

You could always use the Install media or a recovery drive to boot directly to the USB device and select the repair options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
GameChanger97
1 Copper

Thank you very much.. I was hoping to solve this problem in a much easier way 😞

Thank you for your detailed explanation! Cheers!
0 Kudos
GameChanger97
1 Copper

@Saltgrass

I disaibled dell assistance in BIOS but than nothing apperas after many resets.. i just cant get microsoft repair to show
0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

In order to get into the Repair options you need the Win 10 Repair image available for boot. If it can't be started during boot the system is not able to reach the boot files or the Recovery tools in the Recovery Partition.

The install media or a Recovery drive will allow access to the repair tools on the flash drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos