Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2019 17:00

Unable to update BIOS Inspiron 7380

BIOS update Inspiron_7380_7580_1.8.0.exe failed to install on my Insipron 7380.

1. Used My Dell program and click on Complete Installation. Thereafter, status is shown as Failed. 

2. Used Dell Update program and it shows 0/1 update successfully. 

3. Download the Inspiron_7380_7580_1.8.0.exe from Dell support. Double-clicked it and no prompt or whatsoever to indicate that update is running.

4. Using command prompt with Administrative rights, execute the BIOS .exe file from command line. Still no update activity running on machine.

5. Boot into Windows Safe mode, execute the .exe file and still nothing happens. 

Tried downloading a BIOS update of another Dell model from Dell Support, when I double-clicked it, there will be a message box prompt to inform of the update. 

I upgraded the default Win10 Home to Win10 Pro and have also turned off Bitlocker. But nothing is working.  

Any idea what is causing the update to fail? Are there any logs to find out the error? Does a different Windows version from the default factory Windows version have an impact?

Thank you.

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2019 07:00

Have managed to resolve the issue by including switches for manual cli. Once again, Dell support is slow in their response and providing the solution. Besides that, they are not tackling the issue directly and requesting the customer to waste time in providing and performing irrelevant tasks not related to the reported issue.

13 Posts

July 17th, 2019 06:00

Hi, I can't find any logs relating to the error in the event viewer. Do you know the exact location of where the logs would be located? If so, please share the same. Also, one of Dell Tech Support informed me to revert to Windows 10 Home version and try updating the BIOS again. Frankly speaking, I haven't seen a concrete solution from Dell support as all the steps provided are trial and error.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 17th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for your message. A different Windows version shouldn’t impact the BIOS install.

Do you have any logs recorded in the event viewer? If yes, please share the same.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 19th, 2019 11:00

I have shared some steps on private message on how to create a recovery drive. Please try that as this will help us identify if there is a hardware issue.

You can check the event long under Windows logs – Application

1 Message

October 23rd, 2019 00:00

Hey Z1000, how do I execute "including switches for manual cli"?  Having same issue you are.  I use dell update or dell support, it supposedly downloads bio, installs bios, restarts and the computer acts like it never happened by telling me to do it again.

No Events found!