Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

4 Posts

June 17th, 2020 15:00

Upgraded RAM - Now I got Errors

Hello,

I just upgraded thew RAM on my Inspiron 15. I used the wizard on Crucial to find it. It originally had 1 8gig stick and I installed 2 8gig sticks of DDR4-3200. It will boot up and I can see where the 16 gigs are recognized but my laptop runs terribly and then crashes with the blue screen.

Is there a setting somewhere like in the BIOS that needs updating?

Also, just noticed that the original RAM had a CAS of 17. The RAM I got has a CAS of 22. Is that a problem?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 17th, 2020 16:00

What is the exact model of your Inspiron as 15 is a huge series?

4 Posts

June 17th, 2020 18:00

1.5K Posts

June 17th, 2020 20:00

Well if you bought Crucial RAM I would get with them. we know for sure our notebooks run on the timings they are shipped with. We also know that some other timing should work. Perhaps your new RAM Sticks have some errors?

I assumed you already have removed them and reset them just in case they didn't seat well?

4 Posts

June 18th, 2020 06:00

No, I didn't try that but both sticks of 8 gigs were showing up in the BIOS, in Speccy and in Task Manager. And putting the original 8 gig stick back in fixes it. I actually bought it at NewEgg so I guess I can call them.

I was reading somewhere else here on the Dell Forums that someone else was having problems with installed ram and they took it to a computer guy. They went on to say that he changed some settings. Of course they never mentioned what settings he changed. 

Any idea what settings they were talking about?

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2020 13:00

Don't know you could look through your BIOS and see if three are any settings for RAM

4 Posts

June 18th, 2020 17:00

Did that .... I saw nothing pertaining to RAM other than showing it's there.

Did a little troubleshooting and I think 1 of the 2 sticks is bad. I placed each one in one at a time and with 1 of them it won't boot up at all. The other seems like it works ok but now my laptop won't re-boot. it boots up ok but if I select restart from the menu it won't do anything. The screen just kinds of flickers till I hold down the power button until it powers off.

I'll mess with it more tomorrow.

No Events found!