Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

November 8th, 2019 11:00

Upgrading Inspirion 1764 laptop to windows 10

Hello, 

Is it advisable to upgrade laptop Inspirion 1764 from windows 7 to windows 10? I researched and found that people who tried had lots of issue and for some of them the computer crashed. 

If it is allowed then from where to get the free upgrade windows 10 download and what precaution to take or what preparation need to do? 

Thanks foe the reply and assistance. Nayna

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 8th, 2019 12:00

The problem with upgrading a 10 year old system is finding Windows 10 drivers. Dell does not have them on the support page so you will have to search them out on the Net. Windows 10 will supply many drivers but no guarantee that it will auto install all of them as your research has shown.

As far as the free upgrade is concerned, that program expired some time ago. BUT users and PC web sites are still reporting that the free upgrade is still working so it may work but it is a bit of a chance to take.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

And where to get Windows 10 from...and you can either do an update if you want to keep your files or a clean install using the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

5.6K Posts

November 8th, 2019 18:00

I have upgraded various 10+ year old laptops - Acer, Lenovo, ASUS, Dell, HP - to Windows 10 and have not had a problem yet.

Before doing anything use a cloning tool to create an image file of your hard drive to an external hard drive.

After you do that, boot into Windows 7, insert USB created by Media Creation Tool, double-click on setup.exe

1 Message

September 13th, 2021 04:00

I also own an Inspiron 1764 win7,  and I've heard that it gives you problems and even crash after installing win10.  I want to ask you two questions.  The 1st. question.  Assume that win10 is safely installed.  I've heard that Dell does not support some drivers for win10.  How did you manage to solve these problems with your old computers?

This is what you said,

"10+ year old laptops - Acer, Lenovo, ASUS, Dell, HP - to Windows 10 and have not had a problem yet". 

Your posting is about 2 years old and I am wondering if you still don't have any problems since then?  If you are still problems free, I will follow your exact steps on upgrading to win10 because I've been searching on and trying to figure out how to install win10 without any problems later on but, I have given up on upgrading because it will be difficult, if not impossible to find the drivers.  The 2nd. question.  How did you manage to solve this?  I appreciate your thorough and detailed explanations of my questions because I am not good with computers and this is the first time that I am trying to do anything with my computer.

Thank you

No Events found!