Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N0

1 Message

November 30th, 2019 14:00

Upgrading my Dell Inspiron 15, 3542. Compatible Motherboards that arent stock

Hello, I am trying to find motherboards that will work inside the Dell Inspiron 15 3456 i3

I am trying to replace the entire board instead of buying a new laptop, I dont care about price points ect, I am a techy and can find the resources if they exist, there just seems to be alot of grey area on what can be used, I know the stock Inspiron board and its limitations only being Hard-Drive and RAM upgrades for this, I need to go above and its turning into a personal project.

1. I need a list of compatible boards that will work with this setup.

2. What can I replace if i solder out the CPU and Chipset? If I manage to get them out intact and cause no damage to the board, will the board support any other Intel Chipset or card without catastrophic error, same with the Processor, can I replace the i3 with say an i5-i7 if I have the know-how on how to properly remove them via soldering and tech tools. BTW SPACE IS NOT AN ISSUE I will 3D-print my own case or find another solution, I just need to know if its possible to do these things.

Or will the OS/Board reject the upgrades if they are installed as if made in the factory.

5.6K Posts

November 30th, 2019 16:00

You have equipment that can desolder SMT ICs.

WOW!

1 Message

May 9th, 2020 16:00

Hi Nomad,

I am also trying to do the same but I am not a techies.

Were you able to update to new motherboard, if so can you suggest the same.

Best,

Vishesh

No Events found!