Highlighted
1 Copper

VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C

Any idea where I can find information on whether my Inspiron 13" 7368 2-in-1 can utilize “VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C” or if it is limited to DisplayLink workarounds. I'd like to use a dual monitor dock when at the office but not with the overhead associated with DisplayLink solutions. Thank you!

Also, sorry for the double post. I mistakenly hijacked an existing thread before considering this is probably a stand alone topic.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C

Typically when that's available, it's mentioned in parentheses next to the USB-C listing on the spec list.  I don't see any mention of it on the product page or the Specs section of the manual.  However, the "Product Views" section of manual does mention that USB-C can be used to attach external displays, so that COULD signify that DisplayPort Alt Mode is supported, or it could be boilerplate text about USB-C in general that Dell accidentally copy/pasted into this system's manual and forgot to modify to reflect this particular system's capabilities.  I don't know of a way to check the system hardware itself to determine whether this capability is present.  NVIDIA drivers allow you to view the outputs available from the GPU, but Intel's drivers don't seem to.  Unless somebody else knows of a way to find that information, your best bet might be to just roll the dice and buy the dock (or a simple USB-C display cable/adapter) and return it if it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C

After scouring the various manuals and spec sheets, that's the impression I got too; specific capabilities described for a nonspecific laptop. My hope is that someone who owns this laptop has already figured it out and will report their findings here. I also asked Plugables hoping they have deeper access to Dell's specs. Whether through an owner, Plugables, or buy/return, I'll update the findings here.

0 Kudos