Highlighted
1 Copper

WIFI LIMITED INTERNET with WIFI EXTENDER (REPEATER)

Good afternoon,

I have an INSPIRON 15 N5010 with windows 8.1 installed, and where I use the notebook the WIFI has very weak signal, so I provided a WIFI range repeater (extender) TP LINK RE200.

I installed the repeater and all the equipments of my house that I tested the internet via repeater it worked perfectly, however the same does not happen with my notebook. The DELL notebook always connects to the internet via a router/modem and the internet works just fine, but when I connected through the extended network, it became internet LIMITED, NO INTERNET ACCESS.

I called TP LINK support and they told me this is common with DELL and APPLE computers, and told me to contact DELL and ask what to do, and according to the TP LINK attendant there must be something about changing settings CHANNEL, BANDWIDTH and something else.

I even tried somethings, switching in the ADVANCED PROPRERTIES in the DEVICE MANAGER and NETWORK ADAPTERS,  AP COMPATIBILITY MODE to value=BROADER COMPATIBILITY and MINIMUM POWER CONSUMPTION to value=DISABLED, and 802.11n PREAMBIE to value=AUTO. But nothing worked.

Anyway, does anyone know how to solve it?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: WIFI LIMITED INTERNET with WIFI EXTENDER (REPEATER)

Hi victorpinho91,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

In researching this, it appears that current technology may have surpassed the capabilities of your N5010.  Newer computers have more advanced internet cards in them so they can work with the newer routers with 2.4 and 5.0 G technology. 

Have you tried a different wifi card or usb wifi dongle?  They are pretty inexpensive and available just about everywhere.

Here is some information from the Router's manufacturer that may be helpful:

How to configure my RE200/RE210 via Web GUI to extend an existing wireless network’s coverage?

And information from Dell's knowledge base:

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network for Windows 8(8.1)

Connecting and Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

Wireless Networking for the Home for Windows 8(8.1)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: WIFI LIMITED INTERNET with WIFI EXTENDER (REPEATER)

I doubt that adjusting those settings will "force" your system's WiFi to connect to the repeater, and even if it did, there might be other adverse side effects especially when connecting to other WiFi networks.  Of course make sure your drivers are up to date, but other than that, you may want to consider a different network solution in general.  Normal (non-mesh) WiFi repeaters are pretty terrible, since every repeater cuts the available WiFi bandwidth in half right off the top, and then they're also not very reliable overall.  You might want to consider a Powerline/MoCA networking option, or better yet a Mesh WiFi system like Netgear Orbi or Eero.  The Mesh WiFi systems look the same as WiFi repeaters but don't work the same way, and they are a bit expensive, but they're often better than Powerline/MoCA and FAR better than "legacy" WiFi repeaters.

0 Kudos