Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SE

19 Posts

March 15th, 2022 21:00

WavesMaxxAudio is using CRAZY CPU percentage contantly

I think this is a new problem. Maybe from an update of something?

I have a Dell Inspiron 5502. Running 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 1.69 GHz

I just noticed a few hours ago that WavesSysSvc Service application and WavesMaxxAudio Service Application are constantly running high CPU. Upward to 25% EACH, and non stop.

I first noticed it because I have a constant temperature reading in the system tray (CrystalDiskInfo). I noticed it was running warmer than it should, so I checked the task manager.

These programs are part of Realtek Audio driver. I guess they are specific to Dell products.

I checked to see if driver was up to date, and Device Manager said it was, but I uninstalled it anyway, and downloaded a new one (from Dell .com/Support.)

Sure enough, when I restarted the computer, it started with the high, constant CPU usage. It was not always like this.

And now, I just noticed, that WavesMaxxAudio is NOT even working properly, because if I plug my external speakers into the headphone jack, they are NOT recognized. What is going on?

I read online in another thread from a few years ago, that maybe a new Windows update might have caused it.

Frustrating.

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.JPG

March 15th, 2022 22:00

Also, do I even need WavesMaxxAudio? Can I just delete WavesMaxxAudio and the WavesSysSvc programs? Even if I disable WavesMaxxAudio to run at start up, the WavesSysSvc will be running constantly at 15-25%.

This has to be an issue with other people with Dell Laptops.

March 16th, 2022 06:00

I noticed on the task manager, the WavesSysSvc has a drop-down arrow. I click the arrow, and beneath the WavesSysSvc Service Application is shown Waves Audio Services.

If I right click that Waves Audio Services and choose "Open Services", it appears that Waves Audio Services is in a constant "starting" phase. It never says "running".

That has to be part of the problem.

balls.jpg

March 16th, 2022 07:00

If I try to open the MaxxAudio Pro by Waves program I get a message

"The Waves Audio Driver is not supported by your current audio codec."

dell.jpg

I guess I will not have any Audio output on my Dell laptop until either Dell, Microsoft or Realtek can figure out what has gone wrong. I can't have WavesMaxxAudio and WavesSysSvc using 50% or more of my CPU, burning the thing up, constantly running the cooling fan, and the stupid thing doesn't even recognize my external speakers when I plug them in.

March 16th, 2022 15:00

I guess there are no solutions?  I just ran Dell Support Assist. I updated/installed everything recommended. I once again re-installed the latest version of Realtek Audio driver, recommended by Dell Support, Even though I already downloaded and installed the very same Realtek Driver earlier today, but Dell support couldn't see that? Argh!

Nothing works. I can use the external speakers IF and ONLY IF I restart the computer with the external speakers connected. If I disconnect the external speakers while the laptop is on, and then reconnect, The laptop will NOT recognize the headphone jack was just plugged in. I would have to restart.

This is really aggravating. Especially, since I seem to be talking to myself on this community board

m19181

updates pending from DELL.JPG

updates pending from DELL 2.JPG

March 16th, 2022 15:00

Well, I followed these instructions from a Reddit post, to get rid of Waves MaxxAudio or WavesSysSvc controlling  my external speaker connectivity.

Now when I plug or unplug my external speakers into the headphone jack, they are INSTANTLY recognized, and no 50% CPU usage garbage.

Too bad Dell has no support on community boards.

ddoou.JPG

March 16th, 2022 20:00

LOL. Well back to square one, because even though the above solution worked (allowed audio output with both laptop speakers and headphone speakers, AND detected headphones every time upon connecting), the above older-version driver kept giving a popping or thumping sound when adjusting volume control, or even accessing a website that had audio.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

March 17th, 2022 04:00

It might depend on something else you are running, such as Chrome..

Waves doesn't normally just start using processing power. So possibly you have a corrupted install or something else is involved.

March 17th, 2022 06:00

thanks for the reply. I'm starting to think it started happening when I updated Windows 10 to version 21H2. That happened on March 2.

I now remember that for the last few weeks (maybe), when I would plug in my external speakers into the headphone jack, it would take longer than usual for the computer to recognize the speakers (about 5-8 seconds). It used to be almost instant.

Now, with my obsessive fiddling with installing new drivers, etc. My computer doesn't recognize my headphones at all, at least when I plug them in while computer is on. 

The very first thing I did was run an sfc /scannow of my computer and there were no corrupted files found.

I've given up, until I can find some response online. Someone else has to have this same problem.

1 Message

March 26th, 2022 08:00

Hey,

ich have the same problem with that software, meanwhile on my 2nd Dell Laptop (Precision 3561).

Some additional strange behaviors on my System, while the audio driver is running:

- When opening the device-manager, the list is constantliy refreshing, as if some entry was just re-installed.

- In the control panel -> sound -> recording: there is an entry from my Webcam-microphone. It is permantently switching between "ready" and "disabled".

Nothing helped so far (updates etc), other than ending the task.

Regards.

1 Message

April 4th, 2022 12:00

Hi, 

Same issue here on Precision 3561 running Windows 11, all updated with Windows Update and Dell Command update. Just noticed the problem today and don't know when it started. (perhaps today or max few days before). Puter is just 4 months old. 

Problem drains the battery like crazy so hopefully DELL solves this idiotery a.s.a.p.!!

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2022 14:00

Hi, 

I have the exact same same issue. I'm on an Inspiron 5502 running Windows 11. Wavesys applications use up to 50% of the CPU and my notebook does not recognize headphones. Also, the system temperature is very high and the fans are constantly working. I ran into this problem after some system updates. I contacted Dell support and the answer was that windows determines its own CPU usage and there is nothing we can do about it. So clearly, they have no clue. 

1 Message

June 24th, 2022 15:00

I have similar issues after I did a fresh install of windows 11 (dell didn't have a win 11 recovery image for my machine).  Before on windows 10 I didn't have the problem.  Now when I plug in a headset it doesn't ask me what I plugged in and the service usually use about 23% of my CPU.   I would like it to prompt me for what I plugged in and not use up so much CPU. I removed the driver and reinstalled the latest version and install some maxaudio thing the the driver said was a requirement, but it didn't fix the problem . Currently I just stop the waves service app by clicking end task in task manager. they I have to do it again the next time I reboot. 

1 Message

September 8th, 2022 08:00

I had a very similar problem; even after many driver and service scrub and reinstalls, my audio jack didn't work correctly with plug and play; it did work at boot if the audio device was plugged in, but after plugging it out, and back in, it got stuck on the internal speakers.

The service apparently crashed occasionally, too, but a look at Procmon revealed it wasn't related: it still registered when the jack was plugged in and out, but failed to reroute the signal to it.

After a full windows update, I ended up going to the Dell support site and entering the service tag, with the Support Assist, I installed updated drivers for all devices.

It worked after I updated the BIOS.

Apparently, the newest audio driver isn't compatible with the stock bios. Try it!

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 07:00

The issue still remains to be solved and it's October. I've been doing a research and I've seen reports of this dated as far as over a year ago.

Owner of Precision 5550 here. Tried multiple ways of solving this but the culprit (Waves + Realtek) still throws tantrum within the processes.

I've only noticed this symptoms recently (2-3 weeks ago) and figured it's a phase, since it happened previously that some of the updates were buggy. Figured they'd fix it soon enough. Unfortunately the issue became unbearable with the following happening:

• unstable system: restarting itself due to critical temperature reached (probably Dell Optimizer at fault as well),
  • devices going crazy: like @Lloydberg74 mentioned the device list keeps on refreshing as if something is happening,
  • computer audio: the system sounds (any) are delayed even by as much as 10 seconds after event,
  • system explorer: crashing when trying to change the volume via taskbar icon,
  • core overload: not to mention the constant high power usage and cpu and ram drainage by WavesSysSvc Application and Waves MaxxAudio Service Application, causing high CPU tempratures and fan high rpms.

This is unbelievable. My system is up to date and hasn't been altered in any way. The issue must've occurred only after one of the updates (Dell Command Update or Windows).

I've sent a service report to Dell, awaiting contact. Hopefully they will address this issue soon enough, as a simple Google search for "waves maxxaudio high power usage" throws plenty of recent result.

Regards!

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 07:00

Sadly this issue has been going on for well over a year now - I've had it on my XPS 13 on both Windows 10 and 11. Dell seem to be in total denial about the issue despite lots of users reporting the problem. It has a really negative effect on battery too given the high CPU usage. I wish they'd just offer a non-Waves option for customers that would prefer to not have the extra crud installed and would like a smoother-running system!

No Events found!