Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 12:00

Intermittent network problem on Wifi/Wired

Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with my Dell Inspiron 7572 since I bought it (jan/2019).

The computer intermittently is loosing connect to the network, but it doesn't shows any signal about the lost of network, the wifi or cable keeps connected. I can notice only when I try to use the Internet, then chrome shows a DNS error, but the problem is not the Internet, when this problem happens I can't even ping the router!

But here is the weird part: Everything that is already connected don't get disconnected. Connections that keep an established state, for instance: Downloads; RDP and SSH sessions to servers on Internet, they are not disconnected, they keep established.

Meanwhile, if I ping the router, it doesn't ping, it doesn't ping anything at all. Then I remove the cable and plug it again, or I disconnect the wifi and connect again, and everything is fine again, I can ping router, ping others devices.

Looks like a firewall problem to me, it is like an state firewall acting, that keeps connections already established but block everything new. But it is not.

- It happens intermittently, like each 2 hours, and it is normalized temporary if I reconnect
- It happens on Wifi or Cable
- Others devices are not affected, everything is fine, it is not a router problem
- There are no antivirus software, the computer is new and I have nothing special installed, like a network monitor, special drivers, etc. It is just basically Office, Visual Studio, NPM for nodejs, Dropbox, some utils like notepad++, 7ip. But it happened before it was installed and since I bought.

What I tried:

- Disabled firewall
- Change the router (I have 2, same behavior)
- Windows is updated
- Done all Dell updates
- Removed Dell SmartByte
- Disable ethernet on bios leaving just wifi on
- Disable wifi on bios, leaving just ethernet on
- Disable bluetooth on bios

Any suggestions please?

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 23rd, 2019 12:00

Not that this is the solution but uninstalling Smartbyte is not good enough. Dell update will reinstall Smartbyte without asking you. Following is a forum post on how to disable Smartbyte.

Also in Device Manager, find your WIFI card under Network Adapters. Right click on the adapter and under power management make sure allow the computer to turn this device off is not checked.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/How-can-I-block-SmartByte-on-my-laptop-7567/td-p/6109192

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2019 13:00

There is a report you can run.  The report can be confusing and may be hard to pick out what is going wrong. 

If you can't read it, perhaps someone else may notice a problem.  If nothing else, it will put information about your network configuration in one convenient place.

Open an admin command prompt and type the command below.  Keep track of where it stores the report and copy it to your desktop to open.

netsh wlan show wlanreport

What I try to do is find a pattern when the system is working correctly and then see if I can find a difference when it isn't.  The time when some event occurs is very important when reading such a log.

I also wonder if there is some utility which it there to maintain connections but yours isn't working or not installed.  If Smartbyte was to be installed, the Killer Wireless rep. said there was a user interface if you type smartbyte.exe in a run box.  Hopefully, he was not referring to the Killer control panel...

Many folks seem to be having problems with connections being dropped but I have not seen a cure all fix.  Maybe the New Win 10 build in the next couple of weeks will help..

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 14:00

@Saltgrass I just read so many posts related to smartbyte problems that I tried to remove it to check if it could be the cause. But no, it happened with and without smartbyte. (I removed and it happened again before it was reinstalled) I will try to run this command while the problem happens to see if it gives any information. Unfortunately I have no hope on windows updates to fix this... maybe and hopefully a driver problem. Thanks!

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 14:00

I forgot to mention, I tried some power management options too: -"allow the computer to turn this device off", for both networks devices, as you suggested - on power management, PCI Express is configured to the best performance. - On Windows Power Manager and BIOS, I tried to disable everything related to power saving just as a test, and the problem persisted so I reverted these settings (all but left "allow the computer to turn this device off" still unchecked) About the SmartByte, It was not yet reinstalled since I removed, there is nothing on services, task manager or installed application, the problem is still happening. Thank you

6 Posts

May 17th, 2019 12:00

After this post and the answers I got (thanks for then), Dell published another wifi driver version, Windows 10 update was released, but the problem persisted.

I could see a pattern on WlanReport, that is two events always on the same order right before the connection drops:

Blue: 4042

Red: 4042

Regular: 11004

Searching for this didn't really helped... I didn't knew what to do so I bought an Wifi USB and used on this notebook since then it is working perfectly.

But two days ago, I experienced a non related bug on my two routers (about file sharing) then I deiced to do a firmware upgrade. While researching about the correct version to upgrade, I saw this post:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319722

The description was so close to what I'm experiencing that I did an upgrade to the most recent build, regardless of it is bugged or not. It turns out that not only the problem of the file sharing as resolved but this wifi problem too!

I think there is still something wrong, because the dell's wifi board was the only one that had problem, neither the usb/wifi device had this behavior, but the fact is this firmware upgraded "fixed it".

If you have the same problem doing the router firmware upgrade could help.

I'm not considering this problem really fixed until I test on many others wifi networks, but I'm posting my progress because it could help someone.

293 Posts

May 17th, 2019 16:00

Nice to have your feedback to your solution and hope all goes well.  I can imagine your frustration.  I sure love my 7572,  I received early January.  I do some gaming with Logitech's G602.  I have Elected using the  Nvidia MX 150 as main graphics, via their Control Panel.     

6 Posts

May 17th, 2019 19:00

Unfortunately the problem is still happening. For some reason it got from each 2 hours to something close to 10 hours, but I think it is related to the traffic, more I use, more frequently I get the error.

I was really happy, now back to zero... I got a ticket support open on Dell, I will send then the link of this post, hope it helps.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 18th, 2019 07:00

The EventIDs you show are fairly normal except for the Red 4042 so it might help if we knew what that description was.  I have many of those so it happens fairly often and indicates some type of compatibility change.

If you can determine a normal sequence of events you may be able to tell, just before the system disconnects if something went wrong or it just went to sleep or whatever.

The colored graph at the top can be helpful since hovering over a circle will give a description of what happened and clicking it will take you to that entry in the log.

It is understandable upgrading your build would help since it reinstalls all of those drivers.  So maybe something that changed since that upgrade and caused the situation to reoccur.

No Events found!