Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

February 14th, 2019 00:00

What is the best HDD for i7 8th gen processor?

Hi All, 

Could someone help me choose the right configuration pls?

I'm planning to get a laptop with i7 8th gen processor. I need to know which HDD goes along really well with the processor i.e which will give me good performance (No Lags, No freezing etc) ??

1TB Hard disk (5400RPM) coupled with 8GB Hybrid or 256GB SSD alone or 1TB Normal HDD + 128GB SSD ??

Also I might use some mechanical design softwares like Solidworks.. Which will be better? 4gb MX 130 or 2GB MX150 or 4GB AMD Radeon 530 graphics?

Plesae guys if someone happens to read this , suggest me what to go for as I have no clue here. 

1.5K Posts

February 14th, 2019 15:00

I would go with the biggest M.2 NVME SSD you can afford, personally, I have a 1 TB 970EVO and 512GB off brand dell supplied M.2 NVME SSD, that gives me 1.5TB of very fast OS and data. I also have a an older SATA 850 Pro in an external case for another 1TB of super fast storage. The only spinner I have is a 4TB WD Passport that I use for back up. This is my notebook set up. My 3 other desktops are running 512GB SATA 960 Evo's for OS and programs with WD Black 1TB spinners. Next upgrade will be larger SSD 

23 Posts

February 14th, 2019 15:00

Performance wise, an M.2 NVMe SSD would be the way to go right now. Keep in mind that any option is going to be the bottleneck anyway, higher tiered storage is going to be faster (RAM & processor caches).

A big SSD may be prohibitively expensive so using a combination of an SSD and an HDD would be interesting. If you opt for an HDD alone I wouldn't recommend getting a hybrid drive, instead, using an Optane caching would be ideal (no need if the OS already resides in an SSD).

And among the graphics cards you mentioned, the MX150 ought to be the better one, it's built on a smaller lithography and newer architecture. I don't think it'd affect how Solidworks does its thing though, it's primarily a CPU and RAM program; besides, it's a laptop what we're talking about.

No Events found!