Highlighted
spillytalker
1 Nickel

WiFi Card upgrade information.

So I have a Inspiron 15 5577 I was looking to upgrade it with Intel 9260 wifi chip. Looking online I have seen many people saying that in few cases they needed to shield / cover contact pins in order for the wifi to work.

But what I couldn't find is why exactly it is that needed, the tecntechn reason and why only few cases exist.

Also if I buy it is it required to do so on my laptop for it to work?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: WiFi Card upgrade information.

I've never heard of this, but my guess would be that if the underside panel of the laptop chassis was metal and there was very little clearance between the panel and the WiFi card, then the metal tops of the antenna connectors might hit the underside panel and cause the antenna performance to become erratic.  That can be fixed with a small piece of electrical tape or something.  As for whether it's necessary in that system, I have no idea, but it wouldn't hurt anything.

0 Kudos
spillytalker
1 Nickel

NO, that's not what I meant.

I mean the contact points on the card the ngff/m.2 slot pins!

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

@spillytalker wrote:

NO, that's not what I meant.

I mean the contact points on the card the ngff/m.2 slot pins!

Ok, needing to shield those isn't plausible for two reasons:

1. The majority of the pin area will be inserted into the slot, leaving only a tiny amount of the card's teeth exposed.

2. Even for the exposed area, it would be difficult for it to create a disruption because something trying to press down on that area would likely be stopped by the thickness of the chips on top of the card immediately above that exposed area.

3. If your current WiFi card works without any shielding on its motherboard connector pins, then there's no reason to suspect that another card would have different requirements in that respect.  The design of those pins is standardized.

0 Kudos