swig1711
1 Copper

Wifi Issues - New Laptop

Laptop: Inspiron 5379 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8520U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80GHz)  (64bit op system, x64 proc)

I'm having trouble with the WIFI staying connected on this laptop. I have a HP Probook4540s which connects and stays connected all day with no issues, also  a macbook and imac which never have issues staying connected all day. (other devices such as phones and tablets all work too!!)

I should note that I'm only connected with the Imac and Dell currently, all other devices are not on. 

When i power up the Dell shows the connection is on, full bars and loads a website page fairly quickly. I can sometimes manage to get to a second page, most of the time the connection has dropped by that time and I'm told to check connection and try again. I have an option to connect to my router using 5G so I switch to that and it works for the whole of 3 seconds again, so I get annoyed and just connect to my phone which the laptop will stay connected to all day if i allow. 

My problem is i don't have enough phone data per month to handle the work I'm doing and it would be much more convenient to connect to my unlimited internet 😞

Please help!!

Solutions I have tried: 

1. shut down router, shut down PC, re start both and connect. 

2. Device Manager, turned off 'allow device to sleep router'

3. Sleep mode on PC - All switched to Never. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Wifi Issues - New Laptop

I suspect this could be an issue with router even though other devices are getting good connections. Please reset router (and modem?) by following the steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals and Ac adapter

2. Remove router and modem power cables from the wall outlet, and then wait about 1 minute.

3. Replace router and modem power cables, wait a few minutes for the modem and router to fully power on, and then power on system. Hopefully WIFI works normally.

If resetting router doesn't fix WIFI connection:

Please enter service tag number ( or use Detect PC) onto the link below.

Support | Dell US

In your Dell Product Support page, you can select Detect Drivers. The tool will search drivers (Chipset, Network) and firmware for the system. Or, you can manually installed latest Chipset and Network driver in correct order or one by one.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Wifi Issues - New Laptop

:BigSmile:

Also, watch Dell video in links below, hopefully it will be a help to you as well. 

Network Connection Problems (Official Dell Tech Support):

https://youtu.be/HAglcm08Dec?list=PLdLDGmnHB07NVpbsbTGeiW-NLjpVZufxB

WiFi Not Connecting (Official Dell Tech Support):

https://youtu.be/XCap1iLgmEo?list=PLdLDGmnHB07NVpbsbTGeiW-NLjpVZufxB

0 Kudos