Pankaj S
1 Nickel

Wifi is Disable at logon for Dell Inspiron 7535

Hi Friends,

I have strange WiFi with my Dell Inspiron 7535,  WiFi modem is Intel Wireless N, 7260

Problem is whenever the laptop boots up, it shows me connected to home WiFi at Windows 10 login screen,

but as I login the WiFi becomes disabled.

I found ONLY work around to enable WiFi by using Device Manager app, go to Network Adapter , right click on Intel Wireless N 7260 option, and click on "Scan for Hardware change".

but  the moment I shutdown the laptop and boot  again, same problem again.

Problem existing many years before with windows 2008  but I was not bothered  due to available work around.

But now my wife uses this laptop and she is really annoyed by this.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Pankaj

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Wifi is Disable at logon for Dell Inspiron 7535

If you haven't already, try getting the latest drivers directly from Intel.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what could cause your WiFi to be enabled at the logon but become disabled after a user logon, since the state of your hardware is controlled by the Windows kernel and should therefore be completely independent of anything happening at the user level.  The fact that simply scanning for hardware changes gets it working again is even more strange.  If the driver update doesn't fix it, I personally would probably perform a clean reinstall of Windows because I would consider that workaround unacceptable both due to the aggravation and the fact that it suggests something is wrong at a deeper level.  You could of course capture an image backup of your entire system before performing a clean install.  That way if the clean install somehow does not resolve the issue either, you could restore your previous image to get right back to where you were rather than having to rebuild your entire system for nothing.  An image backup would also be a good idea to make sure you have all of your data backed up to avoid a potential case of forgetting to back up some important data before performing a clean install.

0 Kudos
Pankaj S
1 Nickel

Thanks jphughan,

problem existing for more than 2 years as I remember, 

it was with windows 8, 8.1 and also now with windows 10,

during this period I have installed latest drivers multiple times hoping it would solve the problem.

And also I have done clean install of Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 OS all of them at least twice and factory reset as well.

at login screen, the wifi is detected as active and system is connected to it , so it's working fine till that point

and after logging in it gets disabled somehow, makes me think that it's something to do with my user default settings,  I dont know exactly where and what is making this to happen.

any ideas ?

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

I don't think it could be default settings because disabling a WiFi adapter requires admin privileges -- but it sounds like technically the adapter isn't actually disabled under Network Connections or Device Manager.  It's just that for some reason it doesn't connect.  Also, if this happens immediately after installing your drivers on a clean Windows install, then your settings wouldn't be a factor, since Windows definitely wouldn't cause this in a default installation.  What happens if you just search for available WiFi networks?  Does it show networks and simply not connect to any of them, or does it not even find the networks?  I'll keep thinking about this one and let you know if anything springs to mind, but I've worked in IT for 15 years and have never even heard of this behavior, especially after a clean install.  Given that scanning for new hardware fixes it, normally I might have guessed some weird hardware issue that might be resolved by reseating the WiFi adapter in its slot or even just replacing it, but that seems unlikely if it always happens immediately after logging on and no other time.  If it was hardware-related I would expect it to be intermittent and random.

0 Kudos
Pankaj S
1 Nickel

at logon screen WiFi is shown connected to my home network.

Once I put my password and system logs me in , WiFi is disabled and not connected , 

it does not show any available networks,

the moment I do scan for hardware change it , WiFI gets enabled , starts showing up the available networks and connect to my home network.

and this is a very consistent behavior that happens at every boot up

0 Kudos
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Maybe I missed something but have you tried the following..

Go into the adapter settings (Device Manager) and then into configure on the "Connect using" option. This brings up the wireless network device settings. From there you can choose power management and deselect "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" . Kind of a shot in the dark but other users have had that problem and it did work for some.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Pankaj S
1 Nickel

I have tried that as well, 

and sadly that does not help either.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@Pankaj S wrote:

at logon screen WiFi is shown connected to my home network.

Once I put my password and system logs me in , WiFi is disabled and not connected , 

it does not show any available networks,

the moment I do scan for hardware change it , WiFI gets enabled , starts showing up the available networks and connect to my home network.

and this is a very consistent behavior that happens at every boot up

When you say it's disabled, do you mean its status is actually reported as disabled, i.e. if you go into Control Panel > Network Connections the WiFi interface is shown in gray, or in Device Manager you see a red "x" on the adapter icon?  Or do you mean that it is "effectively" disabled, i.e. the interface shows as enabled but it won't actually connect to anything?

0 Kudos
Pankaj S
1 Nickel

No, WiFi interface is not shown as  Grey

No, there is no red icon to Wifi adapter in the device manager. BUT when I go to "Network & Internet" screen   chose "Wi-Fi"  and  chose "Change Adapter Option" , here I see the RED X to the wireless card .

On the desktop screen , at the bottom right corner where it shows network icon,when I click it , it shows me  WiFI turned off , and Drop Down below "Turn WiFi on" with options as Manually, 1 Hour, 4 Hour , 1 Day.

on search option at desktop, When I search  for "Turn Wireless Devices on or off" , it takes me to the "Airplane Mode" settings in "Network & Internet" screen , here I see 2 options "Airplane Mode" enable and Off and "Wireless Devices" DISABLE Grey  and OFF.  So I can not do any change to "Wireless Devices"  option here as it is disable.

There is also another "Wi-Fi" option at "Network & Internet" screen ,  "Wi-Fi" option is ENABLE and OFF here, and  I can change it to  ON , When I click on "Show Available Network" link , it  goes to the network icon of Desktop bottom right location , and here WiFi is still shown as OFF and does not show any list of available network.  So Manually changing WiFI to ON here has no impact

Also another new thing I observed here is , when I come back to "Wi-Fi" option at "Network & Internet" screen  after  clicking on few links  and visiting few other screen , the WiFi at the "Network & Internet" screen  goes back OFF mode even though I have changed to ON manually

Only thing that make it to work is "Device Manager > Network Adapter > Wireless Card" right click and do "scan for hardware changes" 

0 Kudos