Highlighted
Q2UAC
1 Copper

Win2k driver - make it work under Win2k Advanced Server

Hi, there, folks. 

I need to force driver installation. 

This driver is known to support Win2k professional, but I need it on Win2k Advanced Server.

I hope it's a minor tweak in package.xml

I just need apprropriate value to fill in. 

Please assist.... 

P.S. I have Inspiron N5030

Best regards, Ilya K. 42785614_2022157564503588_632202517203124224_o.jpg42699685_2022352141150797_3742205649249894400_o.jpgpackage.xml42785614_2022157564503588_632202517203124224_o.jpgmanual installation

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Win2k driver - make it work under Win2k Advanced Server

All of the OS values in your screenshot apply to all variations of Windows 2000 except the display name, but that wouldn't prevent the driver from installing.  Microsoft uses an "edition" code to identify different versions, but that XML doesn't mention anything about an edition code.  What happens if you try force it to install in Device Manager by using the "Have Disk" routine?  And why on earth are you still running Windows 2000 apparently on physical hardware?  That's been out of support for over a decade now.

0 Kudos
Q2UAC
1 Copper

Hi, 

well, I'm trying to use this laptop for retro gaming. 

I've also opened post in facebook group, related to retro gaming, but there's no progress in there, so far. 

When I'm trying to install manually, the device manager starts looking for an additional inf files in 
c:\\winnt\inf, 
after I gave him the inf from the package. 

It ends up like the next photo shows (will attach it in a minute)

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

I admittedly don't remember Win 2K perfectly, but If you ended up at the new screen you posted, then I don't think you used the "Have Disk" method.  If 2K's Device Manager is as I remember it, you need to open the Device Manager properties, select Update Driver, then Browse, and then rather than choosing the directory there, click "Let me choose from drivers on my computer".  THEN click the "Have Disk" button and specify the driver folder there, and select the nearest matching driver from the list you see.  If you don't see any available drivers there, try unchecking "Show compatible hardware" to see if the driver you have will work even under a force install.  If you still don't see any drivers listed, then you may have an incomplete file set for your drivers.

Are you sure your retro games won't work on anything newer though, even XP or ideally even a newer version, potentially with Compatibility Mode selected?  Depending on the game, you might also be able to run the game in a VM.

0 Kudos