Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

June 29th, 2020 10:00

Window 10 won't load & unable to start in safe mode

I have a laptop Inspiron 5748 and a couple of weeks ago after a Windows update my desktop icons worked but non of my main start icon on my bar on the bottom of my screen. After restarting over 3 times I was able to get into safe mode and went back to a restore point which fixed half of my lower bar icons. My computer froze a few days ago so I restarted it but after the DELL logo screen with the circle of moving dots it goes into a "Preparing Automatic Repair" with circle moving dots then the writing disappears and leaves me with a black lit screen with nothing happening even after hours. I can't even get into Safe Mode.

I have run the F2 and F12 modes and the F2 says all checks passed except for an error on my CD player (which I seldom use) and should not interfere with Windows loading. In the F12 I have tried reseting all defaults and even tried changing the start up sequence from "Windows Boot Manager" to Onboard NIC (IPV4) Then (IPV6) with no difference in start up.

I tried a suggestion from Google that said to remove the battery and power supply then hold the power button down and insert the power supply while still holding. This opened the same screen as the F2 which I followed again with no luck. Starting it this way I did get something different though, I kept getting 7 tone beats repeating over and over. I found a chart that showed different problems for different beep counts (from 1 to On the chart 7 beeps was a video card/ chip set failure. However I Could not confirm this chart through the DELL website. 

Before I bite the bullet and buy a new hard drive can anyone help with this problem? I have nothing important on my hard drive as it is all saved externally so a re-install is fine if I can get into safe mode. I didn't make a re-store USB

Much appreciate any help I can get.   

Viv. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 29th, 2020 11:00

Seven beeps is a bad CPU or mainboard.  See if the system will power up without the error code with the hard drive removed.  If it won't, it's the mainboard you need to replace - not the drive.

July 5th, 2020 08:00

Hi, sorry for the late response been having lots of problems. Unfortunately not knowing enough about computers I had already bought a hard drive based on 3 facts. 

1/ It would not boot into safe mode.

2/ F2 diagnostics said bad hard drive and was marked with a red "X".

3/ The 7 beeps, even though dell does not cover these beep codes in any documentation I have read from them.

After replacing the hard drive the F2 diagnostics now show a green check mark on the hard drive, though the black screen has a message saying: "internal hard drive not found, to resole this issue try to reset the drive. No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2enter setup menu, F5 enter PSA"  

I am assuming it is saying this as windows 10 has not been loaded up yet as I have to buy it this coming week.

I will try removing the new had drive and try powering up the system as you suggested but what am I looking for? What should I see happening if the main board is ok as the screen does not show me an error code and never has.

To get the 7 beeps I had to remove the battery then hold the power button down while inserting the power sup[ply, that is when the 7 beeps was heard. As stated I don't know if these beeps referred to the chart I found as I do not have confirmation that these beeps are indeed troubleshooting beeps. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 5th, 2020 08:00

Seven beeps is a processor cache failure.  Replace the system board (the CPU is soldered to it and not separately replaceable).

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln290440/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-inspiron-5748?lang=en

No Events found!