Praellwyn
1 Nickel

Windows 10!!! Dell Inspiron 11 Hard Drive Keeps Failing.

Hi!

I bought a 2017 Dell Inspiron 300 series Windows 10 preinstalled in February & after 6 weeks it started freezing (especially iTunes), programs opened & closed spontaneously, the laptop would just freeze.  ALL of the screens of death.   Windows 10 Family edition 64 bits. UEFI. Windows 10 & all drivers drivers are up to date. F2 startup menu claims no hard drive. No boot device detected F2 startup menu claims no hard drive. Hard drive crashed & new Western Digital external drive which was supposed to be continuously saving was actually only going thru the motions. The light was blinking but no saving. NEED info on hard drive. Dell replaced it but it only lasted 2 months. Same problems. Mouse driver update = it no longer works. 'net says it's a common Windows 10 problem. Touchpad is iffy, 50/50 it might respond. From there I discovered online that my hard drive issues are widely shared & possibly/probably caused by glitches with Windows 10. Dell customer service is telephone only for Canada & the line is terrible. It keeps cutting out & dropping calls. NOT my phone's fault since it's the only # I've called with this cell to have this problem. Long distance (India). Don't care where support is but iChat removed from Dell Canada site? So much easier but now forced to waste more time hunting answers online. Dell customer care/tech support = replace hard drive & no help with mouse. 

Command Prompt via Dell usb Windows 10 recovery stick:

FixBoot= I/O error

FixMbr = I/O error

ScanOS = successful but no Windows found so it                                                                                                                                                                            fails

RebuildBcd = I/O error

BootMgr = I/O error

chkdsy = Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected. All found "solutions" failed.      

Restoring from official Dell Windows 10 usb 8 GB = Drive Space is too small. Solutions online to fix this issue are a bust.

Tried ALL 'net solutions but nothing works. Any help?  Thnx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Windows 10!!! Dell Inspiron 11 Hard Drive Keeps Failing.

It sounds like the drive is simply filling up - not failing.  There's just about no way you can install iTunes on a system that likely has a 32G eMMC SSD.  Even if iTunes installs, there will be no space to store media files.

About the only thing these systems are good for is web browsing - as a tablet/appliance.  You simply have no space to install anything.  The only reason these exist is to offer what looks like a notebook computer for $150 or so.  

0 Kudos
Praellwyn
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 11 Series 300 has an internal 500 GB memory. It's NOT an SSD laptop. Smiley Happy Paid WAY more than 150$.  

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Most of these ship with 32G embedded eMMC SSDs.  If yours has a hard drive, and the drive has already been replaced once and is failing its self-test again:

1.  Is the system running abnormally hot?  That can quickly destroy a drive.

2.  Are you moving the system when it's powered on?  It doesn't take much shock to destroy a spinning hard drive.

The possibility of two drives failing is statistically improbable, but not impossible.  

If the system does not recognize the drive, and you have data on it you need, you'll need to weigh the cost of data recovery against the value of the data.  Professional recovery starts in the mid-hundreds (figure about $600 US) and can easily reach into four figures depending on what's required.  No manufacturer warranty covers data recovery - that's at your expense if you have no backup.

0 Kudos
nyc10036
4 Tellurium

@ejn63 wrote:

Most of these ship with 32G embedded eMMC SSDs.  If yours has a hard drive, and the drive has already been replaced once and is failing its self-test again:

1.  Is the system running abnormally hot?  That can quickly destroy a drive.

2.  Are you moving the system when it's powered on?  It doesn't take much shock to destroy a spinning hard drive.

The possibility of two drives failing is statistically improbable, but not impossible.  

If the system does not recognize the drive, and you have data on it you need, you'll need to weigh the cost of data recovery against the value of the data.  Professional recovery starts in the mid-hundreds (figure about $600 US) and can easily reach into four figures depending on what's required.  No manufacturer warranty covers data recovery - that's at your expense if you have no backup.

Don't waste you time with him.

It is the external hard drive that has failed.

Read his other post in another thread he started 4 days ago to know the truth.

0 Kudos
Praellwyn
1 Nickel

?s 1 & 2 are both a no.

0 Kudos
Praellwyn
1 Nickel

Thread link? Thnx

0 Kudos