Highlighted
kevdliu
1 Copper

Windows 10 can't activate after reinstall with dell recovery

Hello,

I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 15 (it came with windows 10 pre-installed) using the Dell recovery tool. After installation and setting up, windows 10 says it cannot be activated. I have attached a screenshot below. I have run the activation troubleshooter and it failed to activate windows as well. I have also tried running the command "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" with admin privileges but the command returns a blank result. I have not made any hardware changes to the laptop. Any help would be appreciated!

Capture.PNG

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Windows 10 can't activate after reinstall with dell reco

The screenshot will not be visible until approved by a moderator. But have you gone to the following site and tried any of their methods. Occasionally activation is not immediate. MS was having a number of problems with their activation server, for instance, some weeks back. I realize you used the Dell recovery tool but can you confirm that it is the same version of Windows 10 you previously had installed?

https://windowsreport.com/fix-windows-10-wont-activate-reinstall/

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
InTheBeginning
1 Copper

I've run into the exactly the same problem. In addition to what you've tried, I also did a clean install with Microsoft installation media - no go. I then tried the Dell support media download which identified my service tag, the correct installation media which I downloaded (4GB), created boot USB, and reinstalled the image. No hardware changes and the exactly right image but still no activation. I called Microsoft and after a long discussion, they said go back to Dell and get them to provide a proper product key, then call Microsoft back to activate. So, I call Dell. I'm told that this is a know Windows/Microsoft installation problem and Microsoft knows quite well that this is a Dell volume license and there's no other product key - that it's something to do with Windows not installing properly. Since my laptop is now out of warranty, I would need to pay another $200 for more warranty, then I can access a technician who will edit my laptop registry to make it work again. I was warned though that every time I reinstall, I'd need a tech to make this registry tweak for activation to work. Seriously? Wish I knew what the registry tweak was - I'd do it myself. Dell suggests it a Microsoft problem. Microsoft says it Dell. Lots of finger pointing but in the end I will have to pay $200 to get it working. I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buy another Microsoft license. That way I can at least reinstall with my own serial any time I want. Very unhappy with both companies.

0 Kudos

this is what you get when two big players on the computer market are playing soccer one of them being the creator of the operating system and there oponent being a system builder both players are big and verry well known in the market.I suggest the player who is responsible for causing this issue stands up and scores because as long as there are no major hardware changes customers should be able to reinstall Windows 10 any time they desire

just my 2 cents...

0 Kudos
kevdliu
1 Copper

I tried all of the commands in the page JOcean listed and none of them fixed the problem. However, one command did give me a specific reason as to windows won't activate: the activation key has been blocked by Microsoft. It's ridiculous because the reason why I reinstalled windows using the Dell recovery tool in the first place was because a windows update caused my laptop to fail to boot with a blue screen of death. I called microsoft and they told me to call Dell. I called Dell and they refused to do anything because my laptop is out of warranty. Neither microsoft nor dell is taking responsibility even though one or both of them caused the issue. 

0 Kudos

I am having the exact problems listed. It's funny and reaaaaly annoying that this happened less than a month after my warranty expired. (closer to 2 weeks, actually) I smell a money driven motive here....

Anyway, did you ever get an answer? or get it figured out?

Anything you can offer would be helpful... Thanks

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Cadmium

All of you conveniently ignored JOcean's original question --- can you confirm that it is the same version of Windows 10 you previously had installed?

Interesting thing, I that I just this week was able to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on a used laptop purchased on eBay. There was only a product key under the battery.  

0 Kudos

Aircooledbugbyt,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos