Inspiron

Last reply by 06-22-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Windows-setup doesn´t detect SATA-HDD and is asking for drivers

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series (3514)

Laptop was upgraded from WIN 8 to 10 several years ago.  Recently would not boot into Windows at turn on.  hardware tests (F12) showed a HDD failure and solution indicated was to replace the HDD (Toshiba MQ01ABF050).  Purchased a new exact replacement and installed it.  At turn on get message "internal hard disk drive not found".

Shut down and installed thumb drive with WIN 10.iso to boot laptop from thumb drive into Windows Setup.  Turn on, Click Install Now and setup starts and I select Custom Install and get to Where Do You Want to Install? and We could not find any drives.  To get a storage driver, click Load Driver.

Get "Select the driver to install" and a window asking me to insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.  I have nothing to install, what do I do next?

Could it be I have to format the drive?  How?

Replies (10)
4 Beryllium

Its asking for the Intel RST driver you'll find it on this page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29007/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

you want to download the  f6flpy-x64.zip.

unzip it to the same USB thumb drive you are installing windows from, when it ask for the driver browse your USB thumb drive for the file you upzip to. Once that driver is installed your hard drive/SSD will be available Volume to install to.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647637318174.png

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, VIntel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Thanks for the reply.

I had already done what you suggested but with a much earlier version of that driver (2013).  I did find the latest version and inspected it, many more files when extracted.  Hopefully this will solve my problem.  Trying something else now but will try it tomorrow and let you know if it works.

@LarryW40  alternatively, go into your BIOS Setup and change the SATA Operation mode from RAID to AHCI, then you won't need a driver at all.  As long as you don't plan to use a RAID setup (which most laptops can't even run because they don't support multiple internal disks) or a setup like having a small SSD cache module to accelerate a spinning HDD, you don't need RAID mode.

Did not work.

At "Load Driver", went to Browse and USB (D:) and f6flpy-x64.  Clicked OK.

If  "Hide Drives that aren't compatible" is checked screen is empty.  If unchecked, screen is populated with a list of Intel drivers.  Tried most of them, none worked.  My laptop has an AMD A4.  Is it possible it needs an AMD driver?

Just checked.  Was already set to AHCI.

Choices are ATA and AHCI.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

After manny trys with no results, the only solution was to create a dvd media installation and use an external optical drive

This Worked like charm! thanks. luckily you provided the direct link to download. i downloaded on my pc ,unzipped in the key then retried on the other PC.

I was setting up my girlfriend's PC and that was my problem. thanks again

Thanks dude, that was exactly what I needed (also given the fact that the link provided before is down).

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Go to BIOS settings by pressing F2 when the Dell logo is shown during the computer booting.

Click Boot configuration, change the boot sequence your booting media such as CD or USB becomes first.

Click Apply changes.

Next, click Storage, uncheck the box for RAID on, check AHCI/NVme and click Apply changes.

Exit from the BIOS settings.

Reboot the computer, and you will see your drives during the windows installation.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor