Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2019 15:00

Windows-setup doesn´t detect SATA-HDD and is asking for drivers

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series (3514)

Laptop was upgraded from WIN 8 to 10 several years ago.  Recently would not boot into Windows at turn on.  hardware tests (F12) showed a HDD failure and solution indicated was to replace the HDD (Toshiba MQ01ABF050).  Purchased a new exact replacement and installed it.  At turn on get message "internal hard disk drive not found".

Shut down and installed thumb drive with WIN 10.iso to boot laptop from thumb drive into Windows Setup.  Turn on, Click Install Now and setup starts and I select Custom Install and get to Where Do You Want to Install? and We could not find any drives.  To get a storage driver, click Load Driver.

Get "Select the driver to install" and a window asking me to insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.  I have nothing to install, what do I do next?

Could it be I have to format the drive?  How?

1.5K Posts

September 5th, 2019 17:00

Its asking for the Intel RST driver you'll find it on this page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29007/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

you want to download the  f6flpy-x64.zip.

unzip it to the same USB thumb drive you are installing windows from, when it ask for the driver browse your USB thumb drive for the file you upzip to. Once that driver is installed your hard drive/SSD will be available Volume to install to.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647637318174.png

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2019 21:00

@LarryW40  alternatively, go into your BIOS Setup and change the SATA Operation mode from RAID to AHCI, then you won't need a driver at all.  As long as you don't plan to use a RAID setup (which most laptops can't even run because they don't support multiple internal disks) or a setup like having a small SSD cache module to accelerate a spinning HDD, you don't need RAID mode.

4 Posts

September 5th, 2019 20:00

Thanks for the reply.

I had already done what you suggested but with a much earlier version of that driver (2013).  I did find the latest version and inspected it, many more files when extracted.  Hopefully this will solve my problem.  Trying something else now but will try it tomorrow and let you know if it works.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2019 08:00

Did not work.

At "Load Driver", went to Browse and USB (D:) and f6flpy-x64.  Clicked OK.

If  "Hide Drives that aren't compatible" is checked screen is empty.  If unchecked, screen is populated with a list of Intel drivers.  Tried most of them, none worked.  My laptop has an AMD A4.  Is it possible it needs an AMD driver?

4 Posts

September 6th, 2019 09:00

Just checked.  Was already set to AHCI.

Choices are ATA and AHCI.

1 Message

November 28th, 2019 09:00

After manny trys with no results, the only solution was to create a dvd media installation and use an external optical drive

1 Message

October 26th, 2020 19:00

This Worked like charm! thanks. luckily you provided the direct link to download. i downloaded on my pc ,unzipped in the key then retried on the other PC.

I was setting up my girlfriend's PC and that was my problem. thanks again

1 Message

May 30th, 2021 20:00

Thanks dude, that was exactly what I needed (also given the fact that the link provided before is down).

1 Message

April 22nd, 2022 07:00

Go to BIOS settings by pressing F2 when the Dell logo is shown during the computer booting.

Click Boot configuration, change the boot sequence your booting media such as CD or USB becomes first.

Click Apply changes.

Next, click Storage, uncheck the box for RAID on, check AHCI/NVme and click Apply changes.

Exit from the BIOS settings.

Reboot the computer, and you will see your drives during the windows installation.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2022 11:00

I followed your steps exactly and now I am able to see internal storage devices. Thank you! 

1 Message

October 24th, 2022 13:00

(please forgive me if this is not the correct place to post my problem)

My Dell Inspiron 15 3000 (3583), , running

Windows 10 froze while I was using it. After I reset it, the

bootup process hung.  After several resets, the Dell

software goes to automatic repair, then diagnosing PC, then

gives a menu to repair the PC.  I tried all the Advance

Options and none work.  I have no BitLocker recovery key, one

of the Advance Options.

I tried changing SATA operation mode from RAID to AHCI as suggested

by one thread, but it did not help.

I cannot use the Dell operating system recovery tool

(https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/)

because it requires another Windows system but the only

other PC I have is a MacBook.

I put a Windows 10 ISO onto a USB and booted the Inspiron

from the USB.  I get a menu which includes enter "Install Windows".

I select "Install Windows" and I get a message

"A media driver your computer needs is missing.  This could be a

DVD, USB or Hard disk driver.  If you have a CD, DVD, or USB

flash driver with the driver on it, please insert it now."

Where can I find the needed Windows 10 drivers for my Inspiron 15 3000?

Alternatively, is there a Windows 10 ISO that will work for Inspiron 15 3000?

Thank you.

jim edele (< Private Email id removed. TOS76>)

~                                       

1 Message

February 8th, 2023 10:00

Believe me guys, in my case what was missing was to format the storage drive in NTFS. Even providing the correct driver, without formatting using a PE, nothing worked (not even changing the interface to ATA instead of AHCI in the BIOS). Hope it's helpful.

1 Message

March 21st, 2024 12:02

@jphughan​ thank s lot.... I tried so much.... Finally changing wefi setting works like a charm

No Events found!