Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

10 Posts

April 11th, 2021 12:00

Worst Performance in Dell Inspiron 5502

So, Hello

I recently purchased Dell 5502 for coding and casual gaming and I am utterly disappointed with Dell. It has i5 1135G7 and mx330.

I am not able to play a single game without lag, Not even CS GO at lowest settings. I tried GTA 5 which also lagging at lowest setting, Valorant also laging.

I don't know what is wrong with my system.

CS GO was playable in my earlier Desktop which has Intel Pentium and now i have the latest 11th Gen and not able to anything. 

I have installed all latest software updates and BIOS updates.

I am using High performance mode , Changed the Dell Thermal management mode to ultra performance but nothing is working. 

I have paid Rs.70,000 (940 USD) for this box, which can't do anything.

I am not a gamer or something else I would have bought other gaming laptop.

I just wanted Casual gaming and that is totally impossible here.

I have even tried resetting my system , but nothing works.

Please Someone Do Help .

Please. 

Please

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 11th, 2021 12:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Anshuman_Stark 

Here are a few things you can try to increase system performance!!!

1. In “System Properties” set  Performance to  “Adjust for Best Performance”
  2. Then adjust “Virtual Memory” as needed.  “More is better but it uses Hard Drive space”
  3. Reboot.
  4. Do a “Disk Cleanup”
  5. Then a “Disk Defragmentation” (Skip if SSD is installed)
  6. Open an Administrative Command Prompt and Run chkdsk c:/f    “Yes to run after reboot”
  7. Reboot.

NOTE:

4, 5, and 6 should be repeated once every month or two.

Best regards,

U2

isGoodTroubleshooting

286 Posts

April 11th, 2021 19:00

HI

kindly restart pc and run dell diagnostics to check hardware

you may want to uninstall and reinstall your nvidia drivers and 

partial updates may be the cause of the problem.

do acccept kudos and acceptance if okay

April 12th, 2021 13:00

Didn't worked

April 12th, 2021 13:00

Not working , Here is what I got when I ran userbenchmark .

The Base speed and Turbo speed both are very less , I don't know what is causing this.

Please Help.

Sorry about the camera picture.

IMG-20210411-WA0021.jpg

April 14th, 2021 03:00

Here is what is got from Afterburner, my CPU is at such low clock speed.

Please Help to fix it.

Screenshot (21).png

1 Message

April 14th, 2021 08:00

I had the same problem and did everything I could but didn't improve at all a configuration that looks strong but it doesn't work as expected with such a configuration. I have regretted buying a dell laptop for gaming. I am very disappointed with the amount of money I can buy a gaming laptop like my friend it works very well for the money. I was very disappointed and felt like I was cheated. I was helpless and accepted the fact that if I later bought a laptop for gaming I wouldn't choose dell. I use google translate to write

293 Posts

April 14th, 2021 10:00

I wonder if he/she performed all suggested advice.  Run "Free Malwarebytes?"  Bios updates might be an issue if not for security purposes only.  I wonder if he/she had the computer plugged in when doing any driver updates and or WIN updates?   Something he/she probably did and did not catch?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 28th, 2021 21:00

@Anshuman_Stark  Nice

Seems like CPU is being throttled, I don't think GPU is causing any issues ??

Lets check your machine when it has no load

Open Task manager  > Performance 

What speed processor is operating on ,0.78 Ghz ? 0.98 Ghz ? 

Download Throttlestop 

Uncheck / recheck : Speedstep Turbo and at the same monitor the CPU usages in Task managers if it breaks the 2 Ghz mark,. 

Disconnect Charger Close any running Application and Keep holding the power button for 30 seconds even after it's off keep holding it. Power it on, test again 

If still no go

Reboot to BIOS (f2) and RESET to default 

Before exiting BIOS > Performance > Intel Turbo Boost > Turn it ON 

Exit 

Now check processor again :  

Last option before seeking a motherboard replacement : Disconnect Battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds 

If all these steps are tried and Task manager still show your CPU clock speed below 1 GHz Seek a motherboard replacement 

If the machine is within 30 days replacement period seek a full replacement 

3 Posts

August 28th, 2021 21:00

Hi, i have the same problem. Its happening because your cpu and gpu is being throttled to reduce heat production. What you can do is increase the gpu temperature limit and then undervolt the gpu. You can't undervolt the cpu as its locked.

5 Posts

September 27th, 2021 03:00

Oh I thought I would just add, I can now run my games at much higher settings than I previously thought was possible (due to throttling). So not only is my fps much much smoother, but also the games look better. Of course remember that raising settings too much will inevitably cause throttling again, depending on the settings you alter. Anyway, the reason I figured this is actually possible is because the gpu can easily handle the load but was always bottlenecked by the cpu throttling down. 

5 Posts

September 27th, 2021 03:00

Hey. Hopefully I can assist you with your problem. Firstly, after much experience with gaming laptops, I can confidently say laptops are just %!@#% for gaming. This comes down to one thing, temperature.

So, first and foremost, reduce temperature anyway possible. The solution I can suggest indirectly does this anyway. Invest in a laptop cooler, they are not that pricey. If you are able, get your chips repasted with good thermal paste. Make sure to 'undust' your machine regularly.

Right, now that THAT is out of the way, lets get to some settings you can alter that did the trick for me.

Before I use to undervolt the cpu until I got a stable frame rate. You lose power and maximum output to your cpu by doing this, but the max power is what is causing it in the first place. A recent dell bios upgrade doesn't allow you to undervolt the cpu anymore, and I believe this is an intel thing, not a dell thing. The issue to begin with is 100% an intel thing, as it's the processor being throttled, affecting sometimes your sound, network connection etc. 

Ok, so download an app called Throttlestop.

Secondly, I disabled the speedstep checkbox here and enabled the speed shift - EPP, variable was left on 128.

Finally there is another checkbox here called Clock Mod. Check this. Then on the arrows to the right of it, click the left arrow once. The value should now say 93.75%.

Thats it. Minimize the app and hit your gaming. (I think you have to do this on every restart, and you have to keep the throttlestop app running, but haven't tested it.)

Not sure if this will work for you or not, but it's worth a shot. It has changed my gaming experience from having stuttering and lag every now and again, to having a general smooth frame rate throughout. You DO lose processing power by doing this, however reducing the power a little is what stops the throttling. If your like me you'll much prefer tweaking a setting or two down to get a stable frame rate, than push your hardware to the absolute limit and only having a good fps 75% of the time.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

September 27th, 2021 09:00

Thanks a lot, last time I tried Throttlestop, I messed up something and my laptop became even more slower and I had to reset it.

Still I will give your trick a shot and I wanna add that I have disabled the GPU(mx330) after which the performance increased a bit as I found that the GPU is overheating, as these laptops are made so that they don't overheat, the throttling temp of GPU was set around 60 degrees, so it throttles easily. 

When the GPU is disabled the integrated GPU is used which has the same throttling temp as Processor which is 100 degrees, so the performance is increased.

So, mx330

Do you use the GPU and the Nvidia application? 

Thanks.

5 Posts

September 27th, 2021 11:00

If your gpu is throttling at 60 degrees then that is a massive problem. Its a processor. Generally up to round 85 degrees is good as a top range, sixty is like bath water. That means you are well below causing physical damage. Anyway, try what I said and share the result, it could possibly help others with, which in my opinion, is the big boy manafacturere f-ups. Here's looking at you INTEL! Like I said, I believe its the processor limiting your gpu. Not because the processor isn't beefy enough or far from it that the gpu isn't beefy enough, but because of the parameters set that will throttle your cpu, which in turn will limit everything else. Anyway, try it and if it works well enough, good, we have solutions, happy days.

1 Message

December 7th, 2021 09:00

I had the same issue with the same laptop. It's because the GPU temperature is set to low due to which it does not give the best performance. Try using the optimised setting in the power column in the bios it will solve the issue

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 12th, 2022 20:00

Hello, 

I have a Dell Inspiron 5502, i7 11th gen model with 8gb RAM and mx330 graphics card with 512 SSD storage. I also have issues when playing games. And also my CPU base speed is much lower than what it's supposed to be. I have tried a lot of stuff to fix it. After doing a lot of research and asking a lot of friends I found out that the power intake is being capped. I should be taking around 23W of power but mine never goes beyond 18W. This is limiting the performance of the CPU which also affects the performance of the GPU. The dell Inspiron 3501 has the exact same specs as this laptop. But it can handle games and other tasks well. The only difference I noticed between that and this is the power intake as I mentioned earlier. And the only different hardware component is the motherboard. I believe this is what is limiting the power intake. I have also read another community post where someone had similar issues and changing the mother board solved it. Here's a link to that post.

Solved: Re: No response received - Dell Community

No Events found!