Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2018 13:00

brand new Inspiron 17 5767 exceptional slow and unstable

We received this system yesterday and I have spent today attempting to set it up. I cannot believe how agonizingly slow this thing is!! It took over 2.5 hours just to boot up the first time and then run through the Win 10 setup. When it shuts down, that takes 10-15 minutes to accomplish even when NOTHING is running. Then, upon reboot we could probably drive into town (20 mins) and come back when the system finally decides to open. Everything we attempt to do is incredibly difficult because the system is so very slow and unstable. It keeps freezing and then we wait and wait and...well, you get the idea until it finally decides to do something again. Then, to make things even more irritating, every few minutes we get ads cropping up. (Microsoft, Dell and game ads) These take over the screen and, while they can be Xed out, they take forever to clear. The other speed issue that is insane is that the system seems incapable of keeping up with my typing and I'm not exactly a speed demon. 

I started this process around 8am this morning and it is now almost 5pm and the system is still not fully running. This computer is way slower than my very old Dell, which begs the question of why upgrade. The only software on board is from the factory, but it does include McAfee (Which I hate!) and the trial of MS Office. I can nix the Office because I already have Office 365. However, the speed thing is a real issue and is making me crazy. 

Any ideas, suggestions, input will be very welcome - thanks!

2.3K Posts

January 27th, 2018 15:00

Hello! What version did you get? It looks like it comes with anything from a slow Pentium to an i7 processor. How much RAM? SSD or regular HDD? First things first however, GET RID OF MCAFEE!!!!!!! That software is horrid when it comes to eating system resources. Use the built in Microsoft Defender or whatever they are calling it, and use best practices when 'surfing' the net. Also you might want to try resetting your computer. Windows 10 could have done something odd when it first booted up and resetting it and starting over may help.

57 Posts

January 27th, 2018 16:00

Apologies for the incomplete information before. I know it helps to actually know the system specs! 

It's an i7 Chip with 16GB Ram and a 1TB HDD

I hate McAfee and agreed it's a RAM hog. I'll remove it and reset and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

57 Posts

January 27th, 2018 16:00

So...I tried to uninstall McAfee using their removal tool MCPR tool. I then rebooted and discovered the tool did not remove all of McAfee. Unfortunately, it seems I also cannot just use uninstall because McAfee doesn't show up on the list of installed programs. Yet, it keeps cropping up in the list of running programs under task manager. (UGH!) I ran the tool twice, but the same issue remains.

I also have noticed that when I check performance and/or process under task manager, the Disk usage is always extremely high, most often at 100%. The processes using the most resources are usually under the preface of Service Host - either Local system or DNS. The longer I use the system, the slower it is becoming. 

18 Posts

January 28th, 2018 08:00

I had similar issues with an Acer, my research leads me to believe that it's Windows 10 and it's auto update. My laptop was in a constant cycle. Looked on line and I found various solutions that really helped (putting it on a metered connection so it can't download large files for one). 

Hope I can remember what I did as I should have my 17" 2in1 windows 10 nightmare soon enough!! 

57 Posts

January 28th, 2018 12:00

New problem and possible explanation for all of this: 

The touchpad and the right edge of the frame are both bulging. Well made machine here -- Now I wonder if some of the issues are related to the poor manufacture of the unit. I assume having a frame and touchpad lift and separate might expose components to failure. 

2.3K Posts

January 30th, 2018 10:00

In terms of the service host stuff, go into the 'new settings' menu under start, on the left hand side, click update and search for updates. Let it update everything. Restart, do this at least 2 times until it can't find anything. Then see if it calms down.

57 Posts

January 30th, 2018 15:00

Thank you for sharing the ideas. I spent hours clearing the system of any bloat ware including McAfee. Then a more tech savvy friend suggested something may have gone wrong during setup because setup took over three hours. He suggested returning everything to factory and allowing it to do a new setup. This time it took almost the same amount of time - 2.75 hours. I again cleared the bloatware and McAfee which did speed things up considerably. I then ran the updates several times until there were no more updates.

The system is more stable, but something odd keeps happening -- whenever I open a new program for the first time, I get ads. I launched Office and got ads. I launched mail and got ads, etc. The ads are for Dell or Microsoft products. Then, even more annoying, when I tried to setup Chrome, Edge kept taking over and shutting Chrome down. I did check to ensure that Chrome was the default browser, but this doesn't seem to matter. I click on the Chrome icon and Edge still launches and crashes Chrome. UGH! 

At any rate, none of this matters if I can't get Dell to respond to me about the touch pad lifting from the frame. I'm not sure how to get a response from Dell about the damage...they haven't answered my e-mail or attempt at chat. I've owned many, many Dell systems and have never met with such poor customer service before. 

53 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 16:00

If your touch pad is raising it means you battery is swelling. I would remove it as it could be a fire risk.

1 Message

July 1st, 2021 11:00

if bulging, you might want to check the battery.  It may be going bad and starting to expand the whole package.

No Events found!