Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

January 30th, 2018 06:00

crash after sleep/close lid

When I start my laptop after closing the lid or sleep the monitor turns on showing tons of lines and will not turn normal. It looks similar to a old analog tv with no connection.

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 08:00

I work as a Tech support student worker for my university and I have had two dell Inspirions turned in over the last day with this identical issue and can not seem to find an answer online.  It is not a hardware issue and it only happens on sleep/closing of the laptops.  The only workaround seems to be powering it completely off and turning it back on every time it happens.  The OS and all of the Drivers are up to date on both computers.

11 Posts

February 26th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

Did you find a solution?  I have an Inspiron 3437 and a few months ago it started giving me trouble when it when to sleep and had to be rebooted afterwards (would not reactivate otherwise), and now when anytime that I close the lid, it shuts the computer completely off.  My only workaround it to not close the lid while working or if I need to move to another location.  

Regards,

John

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 26th, 2018 17:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to look into this for you.

How long have you been having this issue? Did this start after any software change like anti-virus or game installation? Has there been any major Windows update recently?

This could be caused by the graphics driver.

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2018 17:00

Same issue, Inspiron 5559, only when it goes to sleep.  Watching for a fix.

1 Message

June 26th, 2018 19:00

same issue with Inspiron Series 11 3147

August 11th, 2018 20:00

I have the same problem, Inspiron 5559 - first lid close is fine, second lid close it crashes, very frustrating!  Solution?

4 Posts

February 28th, 2019 06:00

My Latitude E7270 was fine for months and months with sleeping when the lid was closed on battery.
Now it always does a complete re-start after I resume.
No new apps installed ... not sure about driver or windows updates - would love to get this fixed!

May 21st, 2020 12:00

Same with a new XPS 13 9300. After every sleep (whether through start menu, power button, or closing lid), Dell logo appears and system hangs. Have to force power off and boot from POST.
It happens even when I sleep from the Windows logon screen (before anything runs).

All drivers are updated - confirmed with auto update on Dell.com, and with SupportAssistant and Windows Update.

Also ran diagnostics in SupportAssistant and at POST (F12): everything passed.

Also reset BIOS to Factory Defaults - no change.

May 21st, 2020 13:00

Tried a clean boot as per https://dell.to/3cTwvdw. Same issue.

System restores from Hibernate okay.

7 Posts

January 5th, 2021 06:00

Did you fix this? Now my XPS (2 months old) has started to do this.. just crashes if I leave it to go on standby.

March 22nd, 2021 01:00

Yes, same here with a $3000 Dell XPS 9700.

Apparently Dell does not learn from its mistakes, even years later.

The only thing that *seems* to work (is to disable the close / open lid switch in the bios.

Those kind of workarounds are unacceptable, especially since the issue has been around for so long. 

3 Posts

June 24th, 2021 08:00

Still happening with my XPS 9700 too.   Everything was fine up to a few months back after a driver update or bios update.

No Events found!