Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2019 06:00

dell 3542 compatility ssd samsung 860 evo

Hello

My name is Steaphen and i would like to ask you about  compatibility between my  dell laptop and an ssd , because i am so confused.

I have bought a dell laptop on December  2015.( Dell Inspiron 3542 15.6" intel core i7-4510U/8GB/1TB/GeForce840M).My laptop is out of warranty.

I need to upgrade my hdd to ssd. My hdd  has problem after 3 years of using it  and is almost "dead", so i decide to upgrade to ssd instead of a new hdd.

I  communicated yesterday with dell in greece and they told me that i cannot put an ssd on this laptop (they told me that my laptop has not an "e sataport" or an "n sataport"..i am not sure how they pronounced it to me and i didnt realise it..) They also suggested to me to see the specifications of dell inspiron 15 3542 on dell΄s site at manual and documents category. I saw the pdf file and it is written the following information:

(Storage

Interface:  

SATA 6 Gbps for hard drive / SATA 3 Gbps for optical drive

Hard drive

One 2.5‑in drive (supports Intel Smart Response Technology)

Optical drive

One 9.5 mm DVD+/‑RW drive)

Αnyway, on the other hand i also communicated with a guy on pcsteps (it is a site about computing in greece) and he told me that my laptop΄s storage can definately be upgraded to ssd. He suggested me to buy the SSD SAMSUNG MZ-76E500B/EU 860 EVO SERIES 500GB 2.5'' SATA3 with 5 years of waranty.

Now i am so confused. I want to buy this ssd but i dont know if there is compatility about this ssd and my laptop. I dont want to buy something that i couldn use it and lost my money.

Can you help me? Can i put an ssd in my laptop? Is there compatility about this ssd and this model of dell΄s laptop?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 21st, 2019 14:00

Yes, that is a 2.5" HDD with a 9.5mm thickness.  The 860 Evo and almost all other 2.5" SSDs are only 7mm thick, so it will definitely fit.  Depending on how the drive is meant to fit into the system's HDD bracket, the thickness difference MIGHT mean you'll have an air gap between the SSD and one of the bracket surfaces, but based on the diagrams in the Inspiron 3542 manual here, I don't think that will happen.  Even if it does, that isn't actually a problem as long as you screw the SSD in tightly and make sure the SSD's SATA connector aligns with the motherboard.  Good luck!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 21st, 2019 07:00

Dell Support techs are quite often wrong about rather technical items, simply because they aren’t highly trained on technical details and Dell makes a lot of products, so even if they WERE trained, it would be very difficult for them to give accurate answers to technical questions on all products. Anyway, if the specs of your system say that it can accept a 2.5” drive, then the 860 Evo 2.5” would work and would be an excellent choice. The tech may have been confused because the 860 Evo is also available as an mSATA SSD and M.2 SSD, which your system would NOT be able to use, but the 2.5” is fine.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2019 13:00

Thank you jphughan for your quick response.

I run  HDD scan, Crystal Disk  Info  and  HWinfo64 programs for hard drives. All programs said that my hard drive is  ST1000LM024  HN-M101MBB/D2. Then i decided to took a picture of him. This is my internal Hdd. I suppose is an 2.5 Hdd. Is this corect? If so , then i can buy the ssd samsung 860 evo 2.5 for my laptop. Thank you aggain for your reply. It was very helpful to me.

2019-01-21 22.11.06.jpg

3 Posts

January 21st, 2019 14:00

Thank you SO much jphughan for your answer! I am so gratefull. I wish you a great new year with health , love and money!!

THANK YOU again

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 21st, 2019 20:00

Happy to help, and Happy New Year to you too! :)

1 Message

April 1st, 2021 11:00

i was looking to replace the ssd too in the same model. can u please tell me your opinion about the samsung 860 evo if it fits right and if it is accepted by laptop and if yes whats the results.
Thanks for our help!!

1 Message

March 14th, 2024 22:18

Hello, 

I must upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3542 laptop. Is the SSD Samsung 870 EVO compatible with it?

Thanks.

No Events found!