Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

17 Posts

October 8th, 2018 12:00

dell g7 and g5 Bios 1.5.0

For everyone wondering if the new bios that released today fixes the overheating issues, it doesnt. 

It was stated that dell removed the 1.4.1 bios to "address the overheating issue" but the fans still wait until 94-96c to start with bios 1.5.0.

I could barely play any games on this "GAMING LAPTOP" for more than 2 hours without my pc thermal throttling.When the cpu is making 90c of temp, all the parts near it are going to heat soak so these laptops wont last long at all.

My old msi laptop i used to game on for 2-5 hours each day for 6 years, it still works and had CUSTOM FAN CONTROL 6 YEARS AGO. Im fed up with how dell doesn't make the fans user controllable like most gaming laptop brands do and just pushes a non downgradable bios on us that completely cripples these laptops.

I had a great experience with this laptop from when purchased in July until 1.4.1 came out. Now im listing this for sale and buying an msi so i can actually use a laptop marketed for gaming to GAME and have user controllable fan settings. My fingers also wont burn when i touch the middle of the keyboard like they do now on this

October 8th, 2018 19:00

If Dell had added controllable fans or allowed 1.4.1 to downgrade then i wouldn't be as mad at them. The ec firmware is blocking us from controlling the fans and that it linked to the bios. They could very easily allow user controllable or presets in a dell program with a simple bios update but they dont.

Im kicking myself for not buying a warranty but i hope my cc will let me do a return. This was the only dell ive bought and the last i will ever buy. Im sure lots of people are going to drop dell after this shady practice of them lowering the thermal throttle temp and making the fans not spin until 16c after that limit.:SuperAngry:

3 Posts

October 8th, 2018 19:00

Well said, I hope Dell notices this and makes changes, they have no reason to disable fan control. This will be the last laptop I buy from them if they keep things the way they are.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 22:00

Unfortunately, version 1.5.0 of BIOS for G5/G7 series is not solving heating issues. They need to fix it with new version of BIOS. 

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 00:00

Cooler and do not want to cool after BIOS update

4 Posts

October 9th, 2018 05:00

There should be a application which would give you opportunity to have more control over the laptop. Custom RPMs, disabling touchpad by hotkey, set fans to 100% by hotkey when having CPU/GPU intense applications running and more...

Now, the laptop is a disaster, with Intel TBT turned off I get ~70°C temps on both CPU/GPU while f.e. gaming, but the space between hinge and FN keys is extremely hot, not just warm to touch, hot as I wanted to make fried eggs on it. Calling support resulted in "You still have few days to return laptop, if you are unsatisfied." advice, based on ePSA result which was 71°C on CPU. The next week I will buy thermal camera to find out how hot this area is.

This is my first experience with Dell, well, I am disappointed.

Btw. I will stick with 1.3.0 update, not even considering 1.5.0.

10 Posts

October 10th, 2018 08:00

This BIOS stinks. There is not an option downgrade the BIOS on the G series Inspiron laptops.

1 Message

October 13th, 2018 13:00

Thet dont have option to downgrade i tried everything. Dell is the worse company of gaming laptops. 

After 1.5.0 bios update my laptop has come up to 100 c temp.

I have dell g5.

They should give the option to control the fans, because they getting worse after all update.

October 13th, 2018 17:00

On older inspirons they had custom fan settings in the dell power manager app. Instead of giving us those, dell just decided to make the fans spin at 1/5th speed and ruin this laptop for anyone that bought it for gaming.

10 Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

There has been a big discussion on the Dell subreddit the past few weeks with no happy solution to this at all.

From BIOS 1.3 to 1.4 it was a total destruction of a good product, utterly stupid decisions to completely remove the fan curve were barely fixed in 1.5. The current status is that at 1.5, the idle temps are still far higher and the keyboard very uncomfortable to use when the entire chassis is nearing 60°C. I have noticed higher (?!) voltages also with the reduced fan speeds. 

Dell took my very well performing laptop and forced me to install BIOS updates with security reasons to destroy my entire user experience and satisfaction with them. Coupled with many more problems with Dell products recently I even told my institution not to include Dell suppliers in the purchasing bids for the foreseeable future in the process. Because of that Dell has been excluded from about 100 desktop purchases already in the past month. This is how I get back I guess, even though we are a small institution. 

For context, I had my institution purchase 5 G5 laptops and 5 OptiPlex 3050s for us to use in the lab recently. The amount of headache these 10 PCs put together haven't been matched in my entire life as an IT professional. 

I don't think they are even working on a further fix after v1.5.0 anymore. So they removed the fan curve, worsened default voltages, thought they were doing good; and now even a heavy undervolt + high quality thermal paste applied PROPERLY (not with a tea spoon like how I believe Dell had applied the 5 G5s I have serviced so far originally) cannot prevent overheating. 

This is a gaming laptop. I purchased it with a CPU that matches Ryzen 1600s and/or overclocked i7 4930k CPUs that I have for testing. I want it to perform. I want it to be loud. This is not a leisure laptop. I want a proper fan curve.

108 Posts

October 18th, 2018 13:00

Well said and agreed

108 Posts

October 18th, 2018 17:00

Sent mine into service center

October 19th, 2018 16:00

@Yttersta

I generally agree with all your thoughts. Well said!

However, have you tried ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU and Cache? I mention this because the Intell XTU utility DOES NOT remember your settings on a consistent basis. Then your forced to run a PowerShell script and I could never get it to work on a consistent basis.

Using TS on my G5 it's set to undervolt -134.8 and all my temps are satisfactory when I encode/render my Video work. Unfortunately I am not a gamer so I can't speaks to those results but cranking the CPU to 100% for 30 minutes the temps average around 80C with no nasty throttling.

I hope this helps. :)

108 Posts

October 19th, 2018 18:00

This problem persists even if CPU is undervolted, mine was -250mv core, -125mv cache. I've seen many other reports of undervolted yet still overheating.

10 Posts

October 19th, 2018 23:00

@manchildvegasThank you for the tips! 

Indeed I have tried ThrottleStop. For some reason, however, it just does not play with my G5 as well as XTU does. So, instead, I am starting up XTU with a script that applies my saved profile every time I restart the PC. 

My current settings are -0.155 on the CPU and -0.155 on the cache, with C states, speedstep, and speedshift enabled in BIOS, and finally I am allowing the CPU to go down to 5% in Windows' useless power settings. 

My issues aren't with gaming either. With the 1.5 BIOS, I noticed Dell has put on a, what I would call, gaming switch (I think so, at least). Because as soon as I properly load both CPU and GPU together, then the fans go back to their BIOS 1.3 max of 5.4k RPM again, automatically. My issues are with Unity, MatLab, and C++, the use cases Dell apparently did not think of as I can make the CPU jump to 90°Cs easily before the fans reacted in their new settings. 

I am an academic so most of my work is out of normal use cases. The sole reason why I bought the G5 instead of the XPS 9570 was to have better thermals and power limits. What I apparently should have thought of was that Dell is overrun by utterly ridiculous BIOS developers.

108 Posts

October 20th, 2018 09:00

I doubt it was the BIOS developers themselves that made this decision.

No Events found!