2 Bronze

dell inspiron 14z 5423 : Sound Issue (No Audio output device is installed)

Hi,

I am facing no sound issue on my laptop.   soundIcon.PNG

Currently using Windows 10.

Tried installing Realtek audio,re-installing windows 10 also didn't resolve issue.

Unfortunately could not install IDT audio drivers due to the error "the hardware detected is not supported by this idt" which is popped while installing.

Is the problem with hardware? - Not,because when ran diagnosis while booting I could hear beep sound hence can say not issue with hardware.

How to fix issue should I install original Win 7.

Can any one help on this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: dell inspiron 14z 5423 : Sound Issue (No Audio output device is installed)

Hi Gouthi,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot and Resolve a No Audio issue with a Dell Notebook PC <Broken link removed>

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hi dell-robert p,

Thanks for the reply and article is very useful.

Went through the posted articles and found no sound even with ubuntu live CD which means it is hardware issue.

Here is my question/doubt,how can I hear beep sound while diagnosing through boot options because if it is hardware issue then sound shouldn't produced unless it is from other source.

Could you please suggest views about above point.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos

If it is indeed a hardware issue, and the speakers are not functioning, then you would not be able to hear the beeps from the diagnostics.  If it is not a hardware issue, then the beeps would be heard from the speakers.  

If you would like to do further troubleshooting, please contact Dell Tech Support.  You can contact USA Tech Support team at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

0 Kudos
7 Gold

@Gouthi"found no sound even with ubuntu live CD" 

The lack of audio when using Ubuntu Live could be because of hardware failure or because the Ubuntu driver is not compatible with the IDT hardware. Maybe a different version of Linux would be worth a try. I can successfully use a Linux Live variation named Puppy on my Latitude E5420 which has IDT audio.

@Gouthi""how can I hear beep sound while diagnosing through boot options""

I have never been able to find out exactly how much of the audio system is tested by those beep tones. A lot of devices can generate beeps (smoke detectors, doorbells) without having to use a DAC to do so. My feeling is that if you can hear the beeps then one can say for sure that the speakers are working, but I just don't know if the higher functions that fully involve the DAC are tested. The definitive test would be to re-install Windows 7, and if the audio no longer works with that OS then I would conclude hardware failure for sure.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

@dell-robert p and @Jim Coates thanks for the inputs.

Two days back contacted nearest dell service center and they confirmed issue is due to internal IC's on motherboard.After fixing the issue,they had installed win 7 and suggested to use win 7 instead of win 10 due to heating problem.

Is it a valid statement on heating problem using win7 vs win10?

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Sorry but my area of interest is limited to audio and I haven't heard about  the heating issue.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

@Gouthi"Currently using Windows 10"  "should I install original Win 7." "IDT audio"

Hello. Have you had audio at all since you installed Windows 10? Usually audio does not work at first on those older laptops that have IDT audio systems after you install Win10. Often you can get it to work by installing the IDT driver using compatibility mode. I suggesting using the Win7 version of the IDT driver since it worked for you at one time.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for "... Win7".

If you still get the error message then you might try a different version of the IDT driver, or maybe it just won't work at all with Win10.

@Gouthi"Tried installing Realtek audio"

It might not be a bad idea to delete the folder containing the Realtek files if you can find it. Realtek is not compatible with your laptop's IDT audio system.

0 Kudos