M.Hassan
1 Copper

g5 5587 fingerprint reader not registering issue

Just got my dell g5 5587 with a fingerprint reader , installed windows 10 and the drivers , tried to add finger print into log in options , windows asked to add a password 1st and so i did , then when i try to add a fingerprint the option is there i click it and then get started , it asks to repeatedly place ur finger and remove it to add ur finger print but nothing happens can someone help
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: g5 5587 fingerprint reader not registering issue

M.Hassan,

Below is information for setting up your fingerprint reader in Windows 10.

Here's how to set up Windows Hello fingerprint logins:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts.
2. Scroll to Windows Hello and click Set Up in the Fingerprint section.If you don't have a PIN, you'll need to create one to set up the fingerprint reader.
3. Click Get Started.
4. Enter your PIN.
5. Scan your finger on the fingerprint reader.
You will have to do this multiple times to give the scanner a good picture of your prints.
6. Click Add Another if you want to repeat the process with another finger, or close the program.

How to Configure Windows Hello in Windows 10 for Biometric Scanners

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
zeidell
1 Copper

I seem to have the same issue on my dell inspiron 15, 5000 series. fingerprint used to work perfectly well then suddenly stopped working. It stopped recognizing that I was placing my finger. I deleted the existing fingerprints and tried to setup then it doesnt recognize that I'm touching it with my finger. I deleted the app and installed it again and still doesnt work. My laptop is very new. purchased two months ago. Can you help me?
0 Kudos
efredian
1 Copper

Just received my new Inspiron 17 5770 today. During setup I tried enabling the fingerprint reader, but it wasn't responding so I skipped that step. Now trying to activate it agan.

Jesse, tried setting up fingerprint in Windows settings as you suggested, but the finger print reader does not seem to be working. Upon further checking in Device Manager under the finger print reader properties, events it shows "Device configured (null)" and the following entry is "Device deleted" (I'm trying to insert a screenshot of the properties, but doesn't seem to work.Goodix PropertiesThanks in advance for any help with this.

0 Kudos
balticer
1 Copper

Hello, same problem with my two weeks old G5 notebook. Re-installing driver from the dell website doenst help. Any suggestions? regards Kai
0 Kudos

balticer,

Click the link for information installing the DigitalPersona Fingerprint Suite

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
0 Kudos
balticer
1 Copper

Hello,

and this should help for what? Windows 10 has interated fingerprint sensors support (Windows Hello!!!). It has worked before with windows 10 and for any reason (any update, maybe windows 1809 or whatever) it is not working anymore. Anyway there is no download available behind this link. Is just a description and when i click on the "Dell Downloads Center" on topic 2 there is no download for this suite.

I'll will bring the device back to my dealer...thats it.

regards

0 Kudos

balticer,

Apologies for posting the wrong information.

Rollback the latest Windows 10 update by following the information listed in the link below. Try setting up the fingerprint reader once you have rolled back the update.

How to rollback & uninstall Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Out of Warranty Support
0 Kudos
balticer
1 Copper

Hello,

thank you for your suggestions, but i will not uninstall the latest windows updates. If this a problem with the driver or smth. like this, than DELL should make sure to release a new driver or give informations about this.

regards
Kai

0 Kudos
lapoire
1 Copper

Hi,

I've had the same issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 just yesterday. It stopped working after a Windows Update, so I suspect something might've been installed incorrectly or in the wrong order. Anyway, I managed to fix the issue by reinstalling a ton of drivers, and I have to say the documentation isn't clear at all on the subject. So here's what worked for me, after some failed attempts:

1. First you need to make sure your product is registered with Dell, this way you'll have access to the drivers/downloads page for everything related to your computer.

2. Go in your Profile and click on My Products -> Product List. If your product is registered, you'll see it there along with a "Service Tag" number. Click on that to get to your product page.

3. In the menu on the left, select "Drivers & downloads" and scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see a complete list of drivers and downloads for your computer. Download them all.

4. Start by uninstalling your current installation of the Goodix fingerprint reader driver

5. Now install everything you've downloaded in the previous step. Install the new Goodix driver last. You can restart your computer once at the end.

I'm sure it's not technically necessary to reinstall every driver, but it was just faster for me to reinstall everything than trying to pinpoint the source of the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos