Highlighted
2 Bronze

inspiron 11 3168 P25T

Jump to solution

I made the mistake of buying this laptop, only to find out that the hard drive is so small it's practically unusable.  It came with Windows 10, which takes up most of the hard drive.  In fact, it takes up so much of it that it doesn't even have enough room for it's own updates!

The laptop has a 1.60 GHz processor, 4GB RAM and a 64-bit OS

Is there anything I can do to this laptop to make it more functional?  I have a 50GB USB drive on it and I save everything I can on that, but I'm thinking I need to get rid of Windows 10 and put a smaller OS on it?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: inspiron 11 3168 P25T

Jump to solution

@kris6868 

If you have a 32 GB eMMC hard drive on this, the best thing to do is to do a clean installation of Windows 10.

Then run Check for Updates which will bring Windows 10 up to date.

Then run Disk Cleanup including System Files.

Use your 50GB USB flash drive or a microSD card to store your data files.  The programs still should be installed on the hard drive.

I have done this for several HP, Lenovo, Dell laptops that have the 32 GB hard drives. It works!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@kris6868 

Having SATA AHCI controller means nothing when it comes to whether you have a 32 GB eMMC hard drive or a traditional hard drive. 

As I wrote before, use your service tag # to verify the configuration of your laptop.  If it is 32 GB it is eMMC. No need to tear apart your laptop to "look".

14 Replies
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@kris6868 

If you have a 32 GB eMMC hard drive on this, the best thing to do is to do a clean installation of Windows 10.

Then run Check for Updates which will bring Windows 10 up to date.

Then run Disk Cleanup including System Files.

Use your 50GB USB flash drive or a microSD card to store your data files.  The programs still should be installed on the hard drive.

I have done this for several HP, Lenovo, Dell laptops that have the 32 GB hard drives. It works!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Now I can't get the Dell OS Recovery program to work.  It installed okay and started up but now seems to be stuck at verifying the image.  I cancelled it and then restarted by right clicking and running as admin, but it's still stuck on verifying the image.  My plan is to let it run overnight, but I'm not hopeful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I just realized that I don't know if this computer has an eMMC drive or a SATA drive!  I looked in device manager and all I got is a number we202kd032g e70290fs  Why is this information such a big secret?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

It isn't.  Look at the size of your C: drive.  If its 32G, it's eMMC.  If it's 500 G or larger, it is a SATA hard drive.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you!  And I take it that would be true of a 3185 2 in 1 as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

That  system appears to have been sold in both eMMC and hard drive formats as well, yes.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your help.  I need to start a new discussion because I have a 3185 2-in-1 (not a 3168) and was a$$-uming that because it says (in device manager) that it has a standard SATA AHCI controller that it has a SATA hard drive.  If I could get the cover off I'd just look inside, but it's stuck by something in the middle and I don't really want to either break it, or reach in there to see if I can release it without watching some more videos to see how it's done.

This is good news though, that it may have a SATA hhd that I can replace with a bigger one.  Now to find out what the heck it has in it.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@kris6868 

Having SATA AHCI controller means nothing when it comes to whether you have a 32 GB eMMC hard drive or a traditional hard drive. 

As I wrote before, use your service tag # to verify the configuration of your laptop.  If it is 32 GB it is eMMC. No need to tear apart your laptop to "look".

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You're right. I finally found it when I pressed F12 on startup and it had the hhd information that actually said eMMC.

I was trying to figure out how to reinstall Windows 10, but haven't yet.  If I wasn't learning so much I'd dump this laptop and upgrade to one with a bigger hhd, but this one is actually fast enough for what I do and now that I know that I need to keep it cleaned up I think it'll work. 

At this point I'm not even worried about keeping anything on it, so am going to try to reinstall windows again.  Thank you for all your help with this.  I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos