naynay123456
1 Copper

inspiron 13-5378 microphones not working on headset

So I just recently bought a Corsair headphone that had a microphone on it. When I plugged in the headphone, the audio worked perfectly normal. But, I checked the recording devices setting to see what microphone the audio i was talking was being recorded on and it said Realtek microphones. Can you please help me use the on board microphones? Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Re: inspiron 13-5378 microphones not working on headset

On models with Realtek audio, the devices that are normally listed on the Recording tab of the  Windows Sound dialog are Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) and Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio).

When Microphone is selected as the default recording device, the internal mic is enabled until an external mic is plugged in and detected, then it is enabled.

If the external mic is not working there is some other reason. Our Windows 10 audio expert, Saltgrass, has reported that external analog mics (not usb or bluetooth) are not working on his laptops after recent Win10 change, so it could be a Win10 issue.

Other reasons include that the driver is not configured correctly, or the mic itself isn't working.

On laptop models with Realtek audio, there are settings in the WavesMaxx software that might have to be adjusted. It used to be that a popup would appear on the screen whenever  a device was plugged into the audio port. The popup required you to select the type of device you plugged in. If the popup didn't appear then the device wouldn't work.

For "headphones with a microphone", select"headset" if you get the popup. On some recent models you only have to select it once, but on some you have to select it every time the device is plugged in.

If Saltgrass doesn't reply in this thread you might send him a private message.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
naynay123456
1 Copper

I used to have the popup but it dispeared, I think after the windows update. Should I downgrade my windows to get the mic to work or is there another way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I might disagree with Jim on one point.  When you plug in a Wired headset the microphone still shows as the Realtek version.  With a Bluetooth headset, the microphone will be shown as the Bluetooth device.

With the latest updates, you should be able to select headset, not headphone, and get your microphone to work.  The Waves voice panel will change to show a headset.  Since it can be hard to tell which microphone is working, I normally run my finger along near the internal microphones or tap in that general area to verify they are or are not the selected input device.

If you can't change to headset, open the Waves panel if no popup is available.  You may be able to click on that icon in the hidden icons and click the Maxx Audio button or you may have to go to the listing of apps and scroll down to the Waves entry.  

Once that panel is open, make sure the Headset option is highlighted.  If you want the popup back, look under the Advanced section and select it.

As a side note, the Waves icon is not showing up on the Taskbar right now so I will need to see what is going on there.  It can still be opened from the app listing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos