Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2019 10:00

new usb device [LGD AIT Touch controller 1FD2:5001] was installed

INSPIRON 15 5567: for awhile I've been having an issue where the touch screen stops working and the notification icons on Windows 10 shift left and then right. Trying to diagnose the issue I noticed in the Device Manager that the HID touch screen device under Human Interface devices disappears and reappears continually and that the shifting notification icons seem to shift every time that happens. I tried to run SupportAssist to see if it could diagnose the issue, but it comes back with an error. I tried to install SupportAssist again from the Dell Support downloads, but get the same error results. I booted into Bios and tried to run diagnostics from there, but can't get it to work because it continually shows the message "new usb device [LGD AIT Touch controller 1FD2:5001] was installed." It shows the message then the message disappears and then it appears again continually and is stuck in this state, never getting past it, so never actually runs any diagnostics. If I go into the Windows 10 Device Manager and wait for the touch screen device to appear and then disable it, then the shifting notification icons stop shifting and I can at least use the laptop without the the shifting icons. How can I resolve this issue and get the touch screen to work again? Since the message is in Bios is it a hardware issue independent of Windows 10? Where is the LGD AIT Touch Controller and can it be replaced? Will replacing the display fix any touch screen controller hardware issues? Any other things I can do to diagnose and/or fix the issue?

5 Posts

November 21st, 2019 14:00

I'm posting this for anyone who is having this same issue, as there are at least a couple, so that you know that it is the touch display that is causing the problem. Apparently, it is the touch display USB interface that has failed or is malfunctioning. I assumed that the USB interface was to blame, but I wasn't certain that replacing the laptop display would solve the problem. I wanted to be certain rather than replace the display and still have the issue because it was some other component inside the laptop that was causing it. I couldn't find any information online to confirm that a new touch display would fix the problem, and I didn't want to potentially throw a bunch of parts and money at the problem, so in the end I unfortunately reinstated my Dell warranty and made Dell responsible.

At the end of a lengthy over the phone diagnostics with Dell Support, they determined that the display needed to be replaced, so under my warranty ordered parts and sent a technician to replace the display. After the display was replaced, the issue was gone and the touch panel worked again. So now I feel confident that replacing the touch display will resolve issues as I have experienced. For anyone having my same issues, this is some information you can consider to make your own decision to replace the touch display. If you are out of warranty, I would recommend that you buy a replacement touch display from Amazon and follow replacement YouTube videos online for how to do the actual replacement.

I'm providing additional information now as a precaution or for amusement. As a warning, do not let the power-up/bios self-diagnostics run for an extended time while the issue is manifested with the "new USB device" continual warnings that keep the diagnostics stuck. In an attempt to get more information to confirm that replacing the touch display would remedy the issue, I let the diagnostics run as I noticed that they would eventually progress if I let them run long enough. There were periods when the "new USB device" indications would let up allowing the diagnostics to advance, though slowly. So I just let it run for as long as needed expecting that at some point all the diagnostics would finish and I would have some sort of results that could give me more information about what the problem actually is. However, when it got to the diagnostics for testing the speakers, the diagnostics got stuck with the speakers on. After a while the speakers started to fail with a burnt insulator smell coming from the laptop. I quickly turned the laptop off. The speakers didn't work anymore after that. I never expected self-diagnostics to be destructive. So, in addition to replacing the touch display, new speakers had to be installed.

On a side story, service by the Dell supplied technician was another thing, which is why I recommend doing the work yourself rather than using a Dell technician if out of warranty. Replacing the display by the Dell technician seemed straightforward. However, to replace the speakers, the laptop had to be opened up. It's not a complicated process, but a bit of time is needed for all the screws and unlatching the cover. It's the same thing needed to replace the battery or HD. However, the technician didn't know how to do it. I had to explain to the technician how to do it. Then when the technician put the laptop back together a screw was put in the wrong place, so the computer had to be opened again. When all was done, the computer was working fine, so I was happy to finally get that behind me, or so I thought. A day later I noticed the battery was nearly dead though the power adapter was plugged in. Now what's going on! I checked the power to the adapter and that was fine. I checked the power at the connector and it was zero, so appeared the adapter had failed. I unplugged the adapter from the wall and plugged it in and the connector voltage went from 0 to 19.66VDC. Then I plugged in connector to the laptop to check if the laptop would charge, but it wouldn’t. I checked the voltage at the connector again and it was zero. I unplugged the adapter and plugged it in again and the connector voltage returned to 19.66VDC. I plugged the connector to the laptop and the same thing happened again. I tried another time with the same results, but this time I noticed that the insulator in the connector was melted and there was a burnt insulator smell. So apparently something is shorting in the computer that is drawing too much current from the adapter and causing it to trip the adapter's internal circuit protection breaker that resets every time I unplug and plug wall power. It is obvious to me that the technician left a screw or connection loose in the laptop that eventually shifted, or something like that, that eventually caused the short. To make a long story short, I spent over 3 hours on the phone with Dell support and I'm still waiting for them to fix the computer as I write this. In the meantime, the computer battery is dead and I can't charge it so it can't be used. At least before, I could use it without the touch panel and without the speakers. Dell, if you're going to fix a computer, don't make it worse! Dell sold me an unreliable, expensive laptop and then made it worse by wasting my time, expense, and causing immeasurable frustration!

5.6K Posts

August 4th, 2019 12:00

Is there a newer chipset driver available?  If so, I would install it and then try installing the USB driver.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2019 15:00

As far as I can tell I have all the latest drivers and updates.

5 Posts

August 5th, 2019 10:00

I'm still hoping that someone can help with this. Is this a hardware problem or a software problem? If a hardware problem, will replacing the display fix it? Thanks.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2019 09:00

Here is some additional information to document the issue after a LOT of observation.

After a fresh boot, I started the Task Manager to observe the running processes. I noticed that after the initial start process, the CPU activity slowed, and whenever it got to about 2% the icon shifting stopped. Other than background tasks, the only thing I had running on the computer was Task Manager; that is, I was not using any other applications. Then eventually the CPU activity would increase to over 10% and then the icon shifting would start up again. When the CPU activity was less again to 2%, the shifting stopped again. I tried to observe which processes were increase and might be causing the issue, but it was hard with so many processes and CPU use changing between them all. I started to "end" processes to see of any would also cause the shifting to stop. I stopped all process I could that I didn't think were critical system processes, but none of them made a difference. I did notice that whenever the shifting icon issue was happening, the "system" and "windows explorer" tasks were each at about 2.5% CPU usage or more, but other processes were using some CPU as well. I don't know if this is significant. I noticed that Norton Security CPU activity increased too, so I uninstalled Norton but the shifting icons were not affected.

I also noticed that the touch screen stopped working while the shifting icons were happening and the touch screen started to work again when the icons stopped shifting! I wondered if the touch function had anything to do with the issue. So using device manager I disabled the HID-compliant touch screen device and the shifting icons stopped happening! When I enabled the touch screen again the shifting icons started to happen again!

In observing the device manager Human Interface Devices, I noticed that sometimes some of the devices on the list disappeared only to reappear and disappear again, including the touch screen device. For example, when the full list of devices appears, there are 11 devices:

(1) Airplane Mode Switch,

(2) Airplane Mode Switch Collection,

(3) HID-compliant touch pad,

(4) HID-compliant touch screen,

(5) HID-compliant vendor-defined device,

(6) HID-compliant vendor-defined device,

(7) I2C HID Device,

(8) Microsoft Input Configuration device,

(9) Microsoft Input Configuration device,

(10) USB Input Device, and

(11) USB Input Device.

When some of the devices are missing, these 6 are the ones still remaining:

(1) Airplane Mode Switch,

(2) Airplane Mode Switch Collection,

(3) HID-compliant touch pad,

(5) HID-compliant vendor-defined device,

(7) I2C HID Device,

(8) Microsoft Input Configuration device.

The 5 missing ones are:

(4) HID-compliant touch screen,

(6) HID-compliant vendor-defined device,

(9) Microsoft Input Configuration device,

(10) USB Input Device, and

(11) USB Input Device.

Sometimes when I open the HID-compliant touch screen device the status is "Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer (code 045). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." And sometimes the status is that the device is working properly!

For devices (6) HID-compliant vendor-defined device, (10) USB Input Device, and (11) USB Input Device, the status is also "Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer (code 045). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."  I'm not sure what these specific devices are in the laptop, as nothing external was connected to the laptop at the time.

1 Message

August 16th, 2019 10:00

Bro I literally have same problem(s) on the same device. I am still looking for solutions. Have you found any so far?

November 10th, 2019 21:00

My insperion has the exact same issue now for well over a year.  all drivers & bios updated but nothing works.  so disapointed in this dell purchase

1 Message

January 21st, 2020 01:00

I too have same issues with my dual booted Inspiron 5567. The new usb device detected error doesn't show up. My device boots into Ubuntu although when booted into Windows with an error that says diagnosis could detect the problem. what can be done in this case?

Also, in the solution above, do you think that replacing the hardware the only solution to the problem?

1 Message

April 19th, 2020 13:00

To mrgarci,
Thank you for writing up in great detail what you experienced, went thru, and how things have turned out.  You are the exception to "IT is poor at documentation and using bad grammar" !

About a month ago, my Inspiron 15 5667 started going thru No Touch Screen, Notification Area icons flickering back-and-forth, etc. This is also my work (IT contractor) laptop, so finding time to troubleshoot is a challenge.  Today, I spent more hours than I care to admit doing just that.  In F12 Diagnostics, I found error with WDC drive, Battery is deemed needing replacement, and the "new USB device LGD AIT Touch Controller 1FD2:5001 gets added each time.  Hmmm, was this laptop built with a wearout date of 3 years ?

I have come to the same conclusions as you, but I am out of warranty, having purchased this laptop in August 2018.  The first 1.5 years, this laptop performed OK.  For the past year, I have seen a degradation of performance, no matter how I tweak services and do weekly cleanups.  FYI, I have been doing this since the early 90's.
But I am not going to do what you did.  I will begin to shop for a replacement laptop before it is a crisis replacement.  I am not sure I want another Dell though.
Thank you & Be Well & Safe during these trying health times.

No Events found!