Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

August 15th, 2019 17:00

problem RAM upgrade inspiron 5570

Hi

I am trying to upgrade my ram by adding a 16 GB ddr4-2400 SODIMM 1.2V Crucial to one of the RAM slots (the other slot has 8GB). After placing the memory, when trying to turn on the pc, only the light of the keybord will turn on, but the screen remains black. If I remove the memory, the computer turn on normaly. I have tried several times and with other RAM card (that I return thinking that was broken).

Any idea of how to solve this?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 15th, 2019 20:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Tilano 

Have you tried just installing the 16GB by itself???

Your specs does not have 24GB total ram as an option???

Total memory 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB

It does not mean that 24GB is not possible it just means it was not tested.

Inspiron 15 5000 Setup and Specifications:

Best regards,

U2

1.5K Posts

August 15th, 2019 20:00

Yes, you need to duplicate exactly the same RAM Card that you currently have to get the numbers and name off of it, research if you can't get the same brand you still need to match the Speed type Timmings and Voltages. You might want to contact support for the correct RAM that you need.

You can't just put any RAM you have to have the correct one to match the current one you have or replace both with a matched set.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2019 07:00

I solve it !

The solution : patience

I just had to wait more (like 1-2 minutes). Then I receive the following message in the screen " Alert, the amount of system memory has changed".  I press "continue" and the laptop started normally. I double check on the Task manger and and now I have the 24gb of RAM.

Thanks for your help

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 17th, 2019 08:00

@Tilano 

Thanks for posting back that the 24GB is an option not listed in the specifications.

Do you have the AMD Radeon 530 Discrete video option???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 17th, 2019 10:00

@Tilano 

You can go to "Device Manager" and open "Display Adapters"

It would be listed there.

Regards,

U2

4 Posts

August 17th, 2019 10:00

Don't know what is that, but if you tell me how to look for it I can give you the answer

4 Posts

August 17th, 2019 13:00

The only thing in display adapters is " Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 17th, 2019 14:00

That's good @Tilano 

You would see better performance with a set of "Matched Pair" memory if you did.

Without the AMD Radeon 530 the increase in performance is minimal.

You are running in "Single Channel" mode instead of "Dual Channel" mode.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/what-is-dual-channel-memory

Regards,

U2

October 8th, 2019 04:00

Hi all - looking for some advice for Inspiron 5570 too. I have 4GB in single slot. Which would be best: Add 2x4GB matched modules or and additional 8GB single module? One might be faster but smaller, other larger...is this the case? What happens in real world! Please direct me to appropriate post if already answered...

Many thanks,

Miles.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2019 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Milesmiles12 

Same as above.

You would see better performance with a set of matched pairs.

To take advantage of "Dual Channel" memory you must have matched pairs.

Best regards,

U2

1.5K Posts

October 8th, 2019 07:00

My advice for what its worth, being all the resources being used by Windows 10 and MS Office, I would purchase a matched pair of 8GB for a total of 16 GB

True enough if you can't afford that then match the 4 GB you have to a 2nd 4 GB Dual channel doubles the speed of your RAM, Just having more RAM doesn't mean better performance. Dual Channel will make a noticeable difference

October 9th, 2019 03:00

Hi U2 - many thanks for your response. I understand that enabling 'dual-channel' may have better performance impact than having more GB but mismatched memory modules.

In that case, is there anyway of finding what specification of memory I already have (bar opening up machine)? I know it is 4GB, but I presume 'matched' means more than this? If a new module e.g. DDR4-2400 as recommended by Crucial is added will this 'match' well enough to let dual-channel operate?

Many thanks for your help and advice,

Miles.

October 9th, 2019 03:00

Hi Clint - many thanks for your response and advice. Moving from 4GB to 16GB would be ideal, and I know W10 and Office take a lot, but this is a comparatively cheap i3 machine that I need to be faster (new SSD to move boot from HDD too). I think a matched 4GB in dual-channel operation should help a lot.

Do you know how close a 'match' needs to be, and if I can tell spec of memory without opening case?

Many thanks for your help,

Miles.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 9th, 2019 05:00

@Milesmiles12 

In most cases it is difficult to find a matching memory module with one that is already installed.

Even when you physically look at the memory???

That's why most people purchase matched pairs just to make sure.

If you want to try without opening the laptop then try HWiNFO.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

If you do upgrade the memory sooner or later you will need to open the laptop.

Inspiron 15 5000 Service Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/inspiron-5570-servicemanual/procedure?guid=guid-dff406f8-8efa-43a3-a1f6-382ef24d00c1&lang=en-us

Regards,

U2

October 9th, 2019 06:00

Hi U2 - thanks so much, your HWInfo app enabled me to look inside without opening case - very impressive (to me as non-IT professional).

I have DDR4-2400/PC4-19200 which matches the recommended Crucial 4GB module. It does also say the memory speed is 1200MHz - is this its rating or the speed it is currently operating? Do I need to find 1200MHz memory to match?

I would like to just buy one 4GB module if possible and end up with 8GB operating in dual-channel mode...should this work to that end (I can list all of the serial numbers etc. if that is helpful). I don't really want to double the cost and throw away an operating board just to ensure 'matching' if I can (with your help) avoid.

Thanks again,

Miles.

No Events found!