Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 20th, 2017 05:00

Add cluster to IIQ 4.1.1.3 vApp

Hello guys/gals,

Has anyone recently deployed IIQ 4.1.1.3 vApp and added 8.0.x.x cluster to it ?  I am getting the following error message:

6-20-2017 8-21-19 AM.jpg

I am using SmartConnect zone name in the address field (system zone), no issues with name resolution from dig. I can use curl and successfully login to the cluster. I run tcpdump on IIQ vApp and then try to add cluster, i see absolutely no attempts from IIQ to do any name resolution nor attempt to make any connections.   Any thoughts ?

Thank you

June 20th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

In my own lab (virtual), I've only used hard IP of specific nodes for InsightIQ connections.

I'm seeking comments from Engineering on this.  I'll get back to you.

Thanks.

June 21st, 2017 12:00

Hi dynamox,

Response from Engineering is that SmartConnect is a tested/validated feature for IIQ.  As to why it is not working for you, we'd need to know the specifics of the environment.  Could you open a support case for this so Support could investigate?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 21st, 2017 13:00

Rob,

i have an SR opened, 30 days into it and we have not gotten anywhere.  SR 07391024

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 21st, 2017 13:00

have you tested IIQ vApp with your cluster ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 26th, 2017 12:00

identified as bug

June 26th, 2017 14:00

Thanks.  I've been following the development in that SR.  The bug has been filed with Engineering.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 26th, 2017 20:00

unfortunately in typical Isilon support fashion it was blamed on my network, until I pointed out what the issue was which had nothing to do with my network.  Very disappointing customer experience.

33 Posts

June 27th, 2017 06:00

Any chance there are underscores in the hostname? ( just ran into something similar on an unrelated project ).

> Very disappointing customer experience.

I have basically stopped opening tickets if at all possible due to the workload involved.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 09:00

Eric,

no underscores, IIQ does not get restarted after changing network settings during IIQ deployment so it stays bound to loopback interface.

June 27th, 2017 11:00

Hmmm I have found that in cases where tickets are not responded I had to either hammer the SR owner or get in touch with our Rep and have them get on it.

June 27th, 2017 11:00

Dynamox, I was going to deploy this new version.  Are you using a cluster IP and avoiding the SIP for now?

June 27th, 2017 13:00

Hi dynamox,

Very sorry to hear about your experience.  I know for a fact that there has been a recent re-engagement here from top to bottom to re-focus on customer satisfaction (we call “CSAT”).  This has the buy-in of all senior leaders.  Everyone from management to individual contributors are asked to improve CSAT however they can.  I will bring this case to the attention of product management, to see if we can identify this as a gap in the product or in the training.  I am certain that your experience with support will improve in the near future.

From looking at the technical details of this SR, the issue was first investigated by support, trying to repro the issue.  Upon successful repro of the issue, a more technical team member was able to debug this all the way “past” IIQ down to system libraries, to a “known issue” with the said library.  (“Known issue” as in known in the open source world.)  The defect that was filed was for a clarification of whether the application (InsightIQ) or the administrator that made the networking changes should take on the responsibility of reloading the modified configuration file.

Thanks for your understanding and your patience.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 14:00

Robert,

You are mis-informed. For 30 days !!!  support was actively working on finding a way to blame my network, my smartconnect configuration. Finally i received a note from the "coach" that stated that i need to properly configured my smartconnect zones, or stop using SZ name because it's recommended to use IP which is complete non-sense. Best practices IS to use smartconnect zone name when adding cluster to IIQ.  Finally I found the issue, not support.

Yeah, I have been hearing about re-focus on customer satisfaction ever since Gordon Winters went to Isilon with promises to bring Isilon support to Symmetrix levels.  Still waiting ....

33 Posts

June 27th, 2017 15:00

I'm sure we will get a refocus about the time we get truly non-disruptive upgrades/failover like NetApp.  We've been promised that since OneFS 6.5.

No Events found!