Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2015 15:00

Ask the Expert: Are you ready to manage deep archiving workloads with Isilon’s HD400 node and OneFS 7.2.0? Find out more about the Data Lake Foundation products

Welcome to the EMC Isilon Community Ask the Expert conversation.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask The Expert – Isilon’s New Releases: IsilonSD Edge, OneFS.NEXT and CloudPools

Ask the Experts: EMC Isilon technical content and documentation

https://community.emc.com/thread/179245

Our Experts today are here to answer any and all questions you may have related to the Data Lake Foundation product launches from earlier this month. As a quick recap, our experts are here to talk about the latest Isilon OneFS operating system (version 7.2.0), Insight IQ 3.1 and the newest storage platform for high density, deep archiving workloads, called HD400. Additionally we have a guest speaker George Hamilton to answer any questions about the Elastic Cloud Storage solutions and how it works as part of your Data Lake Foundation. This discussion is now open for questions. If you missed the virtual launch event, you can view the video on demand here.

Meet Your Experts:

Peter+Nealy+headshot.jpg

Peter Nealy 

Director of Engineering, Platforms - EMC
Peter is a veteran storage professional with experience developing platform enablement technologies for compute and storage platforms. He has lead project development as well as lead teams responsible for delivering next generation technologies on a tight timeline and budget. Before joining EMC 5 years ago, Peter worked for IBM as a software engineer.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12730&size=350

Consultant Product Manager - EMC
Karthik has been with Isilon for 2 years now. Prior to this, he's spent a year at Netapp and before that 12 years at Veritas, first as an engineering and then running product management for their cluster file system product. Some of Karthik's areas of expertise are as followed: Cluster file systems, virtualization, product management, scale out NAS markets, competitive views, software defined storage.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=8603&size=350

George Hamilton

Product Marketing, ViPR, ECS - EMC

George is a Senior Manager responsible for EMC ECS Appliance and Centera and Atmos object storage platform product marketing. He has worked in the technology industry for nearly 20 years as a product marketing manager, industry analyst, and research director. As an analyst, George covered cloud computing and services, IT infrastructure, and IT management software. George has worked for small, pre-IPO firms such as LogMeIn, boutique advisory firms like Yankee Group as well as established technology vendors EMC, CA and Sybase.

Moderator: Niki Vecsei 

This discussion takes place from Feb. 19th - March 8th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Announcing #DataLake Foundation with #EMCIsilon and #EMCECS - Join the Ask the Expert discussion! http://bit.ly/1KpJxLQ #EMCATE <<

179 Posts

February 19th, 2015 07:00

Welcome to our latest Isilon Ask the Expert discussion, ask our SME's anything about HD400, OneFS 7.2 and Elastic Cloud Storage as part of the Data Lake Foundation.

Video Link : 24255

February 19th, 2015 07:00

Welcome to this ATE event. This discussion is now open for questions.

106 Posts

February 19th, 2015 08:00

In hopes of seeing some discussion kick off here, I'm very interested to hear more about the ECS solution.  Mr. Hamilton, any opening remarks you have on where ECS can really show it's strength?  Along those lines, it may be helpful for some short opening remarks from everyone to kick start the discussion? 

28 Posts

February 19th, 2015 09:00

Sure thing! First, let me say that it's exciting to see ECS Appliance, along with EMC Isilon, as a core part of the Data Lake Foundation Strategy announced at Strata + Hadoop World conference today.

ECS is the acronym for Elastic Cloud Storage. The ECS Appliance is a software-defined cloud-storage platform that combines the cost advantages of commodity infrastructure with the reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS) of an integrated solution.

ECS is an object-based storage platform so that's where it really shows its strengths. ECS is designed for REST-based applications and environments that have multiple sites and need massive scale. ECS features an active-active, read-write and and very efficient geo-replication that delivers low storage overhead without compromising access to data - especially for geo-distributed environments.

ECS supports industry leading Object and HDFS access protocols to support a broad range of cloud and Big Data applications. ECS also features seamless management, multi-tenancy, and detailed metering to deploy and manage storage-as-a-service. You can certainly find out more by visiting emc.com/ecsappliance.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this Ask the Expert Event!

February 19th, 2015 10:00

Support for integration into Ambari via the Isilon Ambari agent is a great new feature! It greatly simplifies the deployment of the Hortonworks cluster and integration of the Isilon into the HDFS environment.

179 Posts

Karthik 

You know the latest OneFS 7.2.0 version quite well. In your opinion, what improvements or new features (since 7.1.1) are the most significant improvements and why? How does that impact customers?

19 Posts

OneFS 7.2 brings in so many new features. We introduced support for a new HD400 platform. As part of EMC's Data Lake Foundation, OneFS 7.2 includes support for HDFS 2.3, 2.4 and Apache Ambari integration for ease of provisioning, monitoring and managing Hadoop clusters.

We've enhanced our NFS stack to support NFS Access Zones and enable auditing capability on NFS.

OneFS 7.2 enables node compatibility for S210/S200 and X410/X400.

On the networking side, we've introduced support for source based routing.

A lot of feature enhancements in core OneFS to improve Snapshot performance, specifically snapshot delete performance.

Lastly, OneFS 7.2 now allows customers object access to OneFS using Openstack SWIFT.

68 Posts

February 19th, 2015 11:00

Hi Everyone

If i want a customer, my first questions about the node would be

what is the performance of node?

there was a document with that information

the document was "Isilon IQ Clustered Storage for high-performance applications" created august 2008

do you have that document updated until onefs7.2 with the new models of nodes? and could you send me a copy?

the document show the values of performance with the protocols nfs, cifs, http and ftp, with the variables uncoalesced write, coalesced write, uncache read, cache read

that information would be vital to create new solutions for the client

Thanks

68 Posts

February 19th, 2015 15:00

Hi Niki

I am looking for information like that

I send you 2 screens about the document "Isilon IQ Clustered Storage for high-performance applications"

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 5.17.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 5.17.40 PM.png

I hope that  you have some update about the information and you can send me the information

thanks

179 Posts

HI Francisco,

it seems that the document you are referring to is no longer updated and released. There are several documents on HD400 and its specs available in the HD400 - Info Hub. Additional Info is also available on OneFS 7.2 here: OneFS 7.2 Documentation - Info Hub

I hope these libraries will provide you with the information you are looking for. If by any chance you are still missing specific documentation, please submit a request to docfeedback@isilon.com 

179 Posts

If you missed the Data Lake Foundation launch today, watch the video on demand, here

Peter Nealy 

You were deeply involved in the development of the HD400 storage node. In your opinion, what features are the most significant for customers with archiving needs?

12 Posts

February 20th, 2015 06:00

HD400 has the lowest total cost of ownership per gigabyte than any product available to date. Because of the density of the HD400, as you scale out your cluster, your cost per gigabyte, and your cost per watt, continues to go down.

The HD400 is also more reliable than any platform Isilon has delivered to date.  The HD400 leverages the improvements made to our filesystem journal NVRAM introduced with the X410 and S210.  This NVRAM can ensure that any data is retained, even if a cluster experiences a power event that lasts months or years.

The HD400 is the most serviceable platform Isilon has deployed to date.  The drives can all be serviced by pulling the drawer out.  The fans and and power supplies are hot swappable. In the event of a cpu module failure, the 'suitcase' model of service allows a technician to service the cpu module and I/O components without taking the entire HD400 chassis out of the rack.

179 Posts

February 20th, 2015 08:00

Hi Francisco,

it seems that this document has not been updated since 2009. Instead many new document have been created, including the Isilon sizing tool for partners that can be used for performance indicators. I recommend you log in to the partner Portal and check out the Isilon sizing tool. If you are not familiar with it's location, this discussion thread has got directions to finding it.

Re: Where can I get the new Isilon Sizing tool?

Hope that helps,

Niki

179 Posts

February 20th, 2015 09:00

Peter Nealy  what are some of the other differences between S210 and X410 in comparison to HD400? Most of our customers know the X and S series and are curious what HD400 has got to offer for them.

12 Posts

February 20th, 2015 11:00

The HD400 differs primarily by size - both physically and by the storage density it provides in 4U of rack space - and service model.  It fits more storage in 4U, and is more serviceable than any previous product in the Isilon portfolio.

Physically, the chassis is deeper than anything Isilon has delivered previously.  This doesn't require a different rack than those used previously, but may be recommended for maximum rack utilization for cable management reasons. 

This depth and the unique top down installation of the drives allows for greater than 100TB of storage capacity over the X410 in the same 4U rack footprint.

As far as serviceability is concerned, the HD400 allows you to services all data drives in the node, just as has always been the case.  In addition, fans and power supplies are hot swappable.  The CPU module, which we call the suitcase, can be serviced without taking the entire chassis out of the rack, making service times faster than with previous designs.

The service model for drive replacements is also different, as the drives are loaded from the top of the chassis.  You still will get clear guidance on which drive needs replacement, but this will require pulling the chassis out to do so.

No Events found!