Re: Ask the Expert: SMB Protocol on an Isilon Cluster

This is great information!  Is there a way to monitor the statistics so we can trend and alert on them if they get to an unacceptable limit?

isilon# isi statistics protocol --nodes=5 --protocols=smb1,smb2 --orderby=Class --interval 5 --repeat 12 --degraded

2.0 196.6 134.5 32535068.0 74775888.0    5  smb2      file_state    change_notify

That looks awfully high to me, so in theory i'd like to know about that via some alerting system... If it's a problem at least...

0 Kudos
pabromitis
1 Nickel

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: SMB Protocol on an Isilon Cluster

This is great information!  Is there a way to monitor the statistics so we can trend and alert on them if they get to an unacceptable limit?

You can use InsightIQ for this:

https://support.emc.com/docu47071_InsightIQ-Installation-and-Setup-Guide-Version-2.5.1.pdf?language=...

2.0 196.6 134.5 32535068.0 74775888.0    5  smb2      file_state    change_notify

Ah yes, change notify.  When a client opens an explorer window against a share, the client sets a change notification request so that it can refresh when something has changed.  It may take 1 second for some other client to trigger a change, it make take 2 days if nothing changes in the directory while explorer is open.  Thus, this counter from a latency perspective is useless and will always be abnormal and because it is included in our overall latency counter, can skew results.

0 Kudos

Peter Abromitis wrote:

You can use InsightIQ for this:

https://support.emc.com/docu47071_InsightIQ-Installation-and-Setup-Guide-Version-2.5.1.pdf?language=...

I didn't think Insight IQ could do alerting? I know it's pretty good at reporting on the performance of the cluster,  but i'd like to know about it before the client(s) call me saying "Isilon is slow!"

0 Kudos
pabromitis
1 Nickel

Right, InsightIQ can be used for monitoring but not alerting; sorry about the confusion.

0 Kudos
VP11
1 Nickel

The LDAP as authentication source in back end and PDC running on linux box (samba), can we create the authentication source as PDC in Isilon to access SMB shares in Mavericks ??

0 Kudos
pabromitis
1 Nickel

Hello VP1, here is what you need to setup this configuration:

https://support.emc.com/kb/89368

One issue i've ran into with isi_netlogger (this may be caused by tcpdump havn't investigated) is that it dies after very long captures... (hours)

We have an issue which happens very sporatically,  and by the time we identify it the problem is gone and not reproducable... We were trying to run a tcpdump (via isi_netlogger) for very long duration (overnight) and when we'd come in the next working the isi_netlogger command errored and no archive was created...

What is your thoughts on the best way to packet capture an event when you don't know when it will happen?

0 Kudos
pabromitis
1 Nickel

Yeah, that would make sense as to why you are having problems with isi_netlogger.  The beauty of OneFS running on FreeBSD is you can script just about anything.  If your issue causes a message to be logged, you can write a script that:

1.) Starts a trace

2.) Check for a failure to be logged

3.) If after 5 minutes no failure has been seen, stop the trace and start the process over again

I can send you an example script if you would like.

No errors are logged on Isilon... It is specific to an application,  when we monitor and alert on... but by the time the error is generated inside the application it's too late.. The app writes a temporary file to an smb share on Isilon.  Then it tries to access the temporary file for some processing and gets a generic error saying "file not found" inside the application.  I'm trying to capture what it's trying to access where the file not found is generated,  but no luck..

I guess i'll set up collection every 20 minutes,  then kill it, and repeat... and hope!

0 Kudos
Rocketman3
1 Copper

We have been having an issue with SMB connections going stale. Currently we have under 300 active connections, but over 5100 total connections. Is there a way to drop the inactive connections without affecting the active connections? What would be causing this in the first place? We are on 7.0.1.5

0 Kudos