Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2013 09:00

Data Erasure on NL Nodes.

Hi Guys,

The Client is looking to erase data on NL nodes. In some cases it is going to selective data and in some cases it is going to be all customer data. What are considerations/cautions to do this? IHow to go about it and what would the steps be?

Thanks,

Gavi

22 Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Hello Gav,

EMC | Isilon provides a fee-based Data Erasure Service for Isilon Nodes.

Can you elaborate what you mean by selective erasure? The erasure service is one-and-done, meaning all the data on the node will be wiped. The node will need to be Smartfailed (Graceful Eject) from the Production Cluster, before performing this activity.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Amol

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Amol,

isn't node wiped clean when you smartfail it from the cluster anyway ?

22 Posts

November 25th, 2013 20:00

Hi,

Yes, the Smartfail process moves all data to other nodes in the cluster and ejects itself out of the cluster.

However, some customers require that the disk drives in the smartfailed node be erased so the data cannot be reconstructed (reverse engineered) in any way.

Thanks,

27 Posts

November 26th, 2013 06:00

Amol,

Saying selective data I meant to say if they don't want to delete all the data but some of the data. But I don't need to do that. I confirmed and need to delete all the data using erasure service.

So, now I get that we need to SmartFail the node before using the Erasure service, how would one go about using the erasure service?

Thanks,

Gav

27 Posts

November 26th, 2013 07:00

Amol,

But is there no other way to do this?

Thanks

22 Posts

November 26th, 2013 07:00

Hello,

The (Sales) Account Representative can provide a quote for this fee based Disk Erasure Service. I would suggest contacting him.

Thanks,

22 Posts

November 26th, 2013 08:00

Oh I am sure there's multiple methods and tools available today that let you erase hard drives. What  EMC Disk Erasure service gives you is a trained professional using EMC approved and tested tools that perform this activity.

1 Message

June 16th, 2014 08:00

Is there a command or procedure that can be run against a failed Isilon drive to ensure the data is erased off of the drive prior to sending it back to EMC? 

4 Posts

June 16th, 2014 08:00

DBAN is a favorite.

1 Message

June 16th, 2014 09:00

They are just standard SATA drives. We put them in another computer and wipe them with DBAN.

In regards to erasing failed drives, Isilon has the option to purchase nodes with Data At Rest Encryption DARE. Please contact support about erasing current failed drives.

Isilon PS has a secure erasure service which is relatively inexpensive. This is a legally binding service where you get a certificate of completion. Contact your sales team for information on that as mentioned.

Or you can just format the nodes by following this procedure:

Isilon: How to reset a node to factory defaults

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

KennySabarese wrote:

In regards to erasing failed drives, Isilon has the option to purchase nodes with Data At Rest Encryption DARE. Please contact support about erasing current failed drives.

not all drives/nodes support D@RE.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 16th, 2014 10:00

what if the disk is no longer spinning ? 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 16th, 2014 10:00

Thank you

No Events found!