Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2013 06:00

Do I need SSD's on my Isilon cluster?

When you have an Isilon cluster when is the best time to add SSD capacity and will the system enhance the performance?

Many clusters can take advantage of SSD's within some or all of the nodes, SSD's can be used in a few different ways determining if I need more can be fairly simple.

SSD's can be used as

1) To hold live data

2) To hold metadata on a specific pool

3) To enable global namespace acceleration - ie help accelerate metadata cluster wide especially on nodes without SSD's (like NL nodes)

If your applications accessing the cluster and create larger amounts of directories with lot's of small files your system will typically be doing lot's of file metadata operations.   If you application always knows the file path for access and has fewer larger files then metadata lookups to the cluster will typically be much less.

The easiest way to determine how busy the system is doing metadata lookups is to leverage InsightIQ.  Don't have InsightIQ you can get a trial license and install the software inside a VM instance.

The report to review is located under Performance Reporting, Client Performance, Select the Protocol Operations rate and Protocol Operations latency.  If you see high values for namespace reads and namespace writes you should add SSD's to the environment for better overall performance.

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 9.06.41 AM.jpg

In this case my sample IIQ report shows most of the demo cluster workload is writes,  expect different numbers on your production cluster.

30 Posts

June 29th, 2013 06:00

I forgot to mention to sort by opclass in the reports.

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 9.10.58 AM.jpg

13 Posts

December 4th, 2013 14:00

can you define a "high values" for namespace ops.

thanks.

30 Posts

December 5th, 2013 05:00

Hi j_d

Every cluster would be different in terms of where the "high value" number would make a difference in the user experience.  I would expect anytime you're seeing the namespace ops being in the 20% of the time spent to provide value to the cluster.  That means that it's spending a large amount of time doing metadata lookups from the SATA drives in the cluster as opposed to processing IO from the disks.

If the primary workload on your system is a larger file count, home directories as opposed to large media files I always recommend leveraging SSD's for the filesystem metadata.

Jeff.

1 Message

December 16th, 2016 13:00

is File_state operation also related to Metadata?

thanks

Ranjith

30 Posts

December 18th, 2016 02:00

Hi Ranjith,

File_state would be part of the operations of the SMB protocol similar to the change_notify that is sent back to the client systems.  The measurement of file_state can be misleading and the calculation has been updated in Onefs 8.0.x and IIQ 4.1 to properly reflect the true timing of file_state for operations.

Generally, I review namespace_read and namespace_write operations primarily for latency to push for SSD's.  Keep in mind that the job engine performance is also enhanced with SSD's so I would say virtually 95% of new clusters have SSD drives.

No Events found!