Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2014 22:00

EMCopy: Unable to retrieve the PDC of the domain nearby \\, error : 1717

Dear all,

When running EMCopy with Isilon as target, I always get this warning:

TH000 : 12:19:52 : WARNING : Unable to retrieve the PDC of the domain nearby \\ , error : 1717
TH000 : 12:19:52 : WARNING : The default primary group is set to "domain users"

Any idea why these warnings appear and if they have any effect on EMCopy action?  The command used is:

c:\Isilon\Tools\EMCopy>emcopy64.exe \\\ \\ \ /ignoredhsm /o /secforce /sd /s /d /th 64 /c /r:1 /w:2 /cm md5 /log+:C:\Isilon\log\ _incr01.txt

Thanks,

Rayson

4 Posts

October 10th, 2014 07:00

I had the same thing when we did our migrations to the Isilon.  I just ignored it and it wasn't an issue.

If it's copying the ACLs over and doing SID to username mapping - then I wouldn't think it's an issue.

11 Posts

October 12th, 2014 20:00

Hi uid_0,

Thanks for the update. 

Since I am helping a customer to migrate files, they will want to make sure everything are correct.  This is quite difficult because no one completely know the effect of this warning and if it affect the file migration. 

Best Regards,

Rayson

2.8K Posts

October 21st, 2014 00:00

Hi RaysonW,

The user account should be admin rights, and then add it to "Generate Security Audits" and "Manage Auditing and Security Log" local security policy and local administrator group before running the copies.

emcopy have to carry all the NTFS permissions and the m,a times for folders and files. Also while creating shares on Isilon, do not apply default permissions as it will overwrite the NTFS permissions of the folder you copied.

11 Posts

October 21st, 2014 01:00

Hi Jeffey,

The account I used is Domain Admin, which is local administrator also.  I have already add the user to the 2 local security policy you mentioned.  However, the warning still appear.

Since it apparently did not affect the file copy or permission setting, I am not sure its effect on my file migration process. If it does not affect my file migration, then I will accept it as it.

Thanks,

Rayson

2.8K Posts

October 26th, 2014 19:00

Hi RaysonW,

According to your description, I believe the file migration process will not be affect. No worries.

No Events found!