Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2014 22:00

EMCopy error 206 - file name or extension is too long

Dear all,

Get a migration project and need to migrate file from NetApp to Isilon.  However, when using EMCopy for incremental copy, the EMCopy reported error on several files because filename or extension is too long.

I did not recall EMCopy has any switch to handle long path or filename.  Did I miss anything?  The error reported is 206.

The file in question using Chinese characters as file name and it is really very long.  In the log, all are shown as "?" for the file name.

Anyone has suggestion about how to workaround this?

Thanks,

Rayson

October 10th, 2014 08:00

This is a known issue, currently Isilon has a limit off 255 Bytes, not necessarily characters. Some Unicode character take up more than 1 or 2 bytes, up to 4 for some character set, so a short file name can actually get to 255 before you think.

Unfortunately, there is no way around this currently except a rename/shortening of a file name. The copy tools do not have a built in method of doing this. The copy tool will report the files it fails on, can these file names be targeted and shortened.

I've used this byte counter in the past to determine the actual byte count for unicode character file names.

http://mothereff.in/byte-counter

From the Isilon guidelines for large workflow doc.

File System

This section presents guidelines for aspects of the file system. Item

Guideline

Description

File name length

255 bytes

Most Unicode character encodings, such as UTF-8, which is the OneFS default, specify that a character can have multiple bytes. UTF-8 can have up to 4 bytes per character. As a result, the 255 bytes in a file name can range from 63 characters to 255 characters. The characters in some languages, such as Japanese,

11 Posts

October 12th, 2014 20:00

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the information.  I just checked that the filename is 255+4 characters long (the +4 come from ".pdf" and the other are all Chinese characters).  This make Isilon (not EMCopy) not accept the files. 

I will see if the user agree to shorten the filename.

Thanks,

Rayson

2.8K Posts

October 21st, 2014 00:00

Hi RaysonW,

OneFS is a UNIX BSD-derived kernel and operating system, max length file name is 255 bytes in FreeBSD. I suppose that's why currently Isilon has a limit off 255 bytes for file name length.

1 Message

December 10th, 2014 02:00

"Long Path Tool" is best solution for these kind of problems.

1 Message

October 19th, 2015 22:00

Try to long path tool. It is very helpful.

June 30th, 2020 08:00

Try "LongPathTool program" that is best solution.

No Events found!