This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 10:00

Enable SMB continuous availability on existing share

Hello

Is it possible to enable SMB continuous availability on an existing share on an Isilon.

The share has folders and data in it.

The GUI option is grayed out , as it was not done  when the share was created

Thanks

254 Posts

February 6th, 2017 10:00

No, the share must be re-created.  From my understanding this is how it works on a Windows server as well.  I haven't tried that, but I heard it from a usually reliable source.

300 Posts

February 6th, 2017 23:00

furthermore if you delete the share you dont delete the data in the filesystem. So a recreation shouldn't be a problem.

this can be done in a single command line..

isi smb share delete ... ; isi smb share create ...

12 Posts

February 7th, 2017 03:00

There is a helper script on your cluster that can do this for you (delete, re-create with existing permissions etc).

Note that all users will be disconnected when you delete the share.  It seems that no users will be affected

isi_smb_ca_share --help

Also note that by design SMB3 server-side copy will not be available when using CA.

12 Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

You are absolutely right!

I just re-tested this using the script to enable and then disable CA and I wasn't disconnected. I do remember from some testing about a year ago that this wasn't the case, but this could have something to do with that customers environment.

The script basically uses the API to pull the share information, permissions etc and then builds a database of these used to re-create them with the same settings and permissions.

//bd

300 Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

nice script!

are you sure about the disconnection? This is what i would expect but my memories tell me, that under 7.0.x and 7.1.x the share deletion just prevented new Connections but did not affect existing Connections. The "force logoff" could only be accomplished by turning smb off.

1 Message

April 29th, 2019 13:00

On 8.0.0.4

isilonclustername-1# isi_smb_ca_share --help
Must specify either to enable and disable CA!

Usage: /usr/bin/isi_smb_ca_share [--enable-ca|--disable-ca] [--all|--share= ] [--zone= ]

Configure an existing share to either enable or disable SMB3
continuous availablity support. Making a change here will delete and
recreate the share, resulting in a disconnection for all current
clients.

1 Message

January 5th, 2022 16:00

The isi_smb_ca_share command works, most of the time. But be warned, check the share permissions and make sure 1) there are no duplicate permissions 2) all users, groups, SIDS can be resolved.

Collect the current share information with isi smb shares view, in case it fails.

If any are invalid it will delete the share and fail to recreate it, which does not help availability.

No Events found!